Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cookiesdoc

Can I grow lady slippers?

cookiesdoc
19 years ago

I have been reading the postings about lady slippers and was wondering if the front of my house would be a good environment for them. It is a Northwest exposure with a lot of mulch and a large Bradford pear off to the side. I have foamflowers, bleeding hearts, and pulmonaria, and they are all very happy. The ground is always moist. It starts to get sun in the afternoon for a couple of hours and then is shaded by the Bradford pear. I was thinking of the showy pink lady slipper. Any advice? I'm nervous about trying them out as they are so expensive! Thanks.

Comments (10)

• macranthos
    19 years ago

You certainly can grow them. What sort of soil do you have? If it is too clayey/water retentive, you will need to create a bed for them, but that's all. Are you talking about Cypripedium reginae, the Showy LS or C. acaule, the Pink LS? I would suggest avoiding C. acaule as it can be annoyingly tricky sometimes, but reginae will grow well. You can also try some of the parviflorum (yellow) varieties. The link below will send you to some ethically sound business links.

Best,
    Ross

Here is a link that might be useful: LS link

• mainegrower
    19 years ago

C. parviflorum is probably the easiest lady slipper to grow as long as it has "woodsy" soil not too acid. C. reginae, the showy lady slipper, is also growable, but needs rather specific conditions. This species is native to neutral pH bogs where it has access to subsurface water and high humidity. It grows above the saturated level, not in it. An excavation lined with plastic at the bottom, but with holes around the upper edges to allow excess water to seep away makes a good planting site. The bed is filled with a mixture of well rotted wood and sand, perlite (ugly and tends to float away) or Turface. Yearly addition of lime is needed in most areas of the country. If it's necessary to water in droughty conditions, use rain water or tap water that has sat long enough to ensure any chlorine, etc. has evaporated. The ideal site would be morning sun and afternoon shade.

• plantfreak
    19 years ago

Well the good news is that you live in a state where they are truly native, so growing them should be no sweat. While your conditions sound fairly good for C. reginae, I would ammend the soil. Avoid using organic materials that break down quickly such as leafmold. Also avoid peatmoss since it is so highly acidic. You can use any decent woodland loam with not too much clay, supplimented with some organic material (not too much! Fen soil or wood derived mixes are OK but shouldn't contain inorganic fertilizers). These should them be mixed with any inorganic material that opens up the soil. As noted by Mainegrower the soil pH should be about neutral. There is no need to make a bog as long as the soil remains moist. Excess moisture, espcially from a stagnant water source can be problematic for these plants.

The next most important issue is where you get your plants from. Wild collected salvage plants are fine, but more difficult to establish. I would suggest artificially propagated ones. There are a number of vendors these days, but I would suggest either Vermont Ladyslipper Company or Hillside Nursery as two excellent candidates. The quality of the plants you get could actually be the deciding factor in your success with these. Also check out Spangle Creek Lab's site for cultural ideas. You wouldn't believe some of the plants Bill Steele has grown from seed! As a beginner, I would not suggest you start out trying seedlings that he sells.

Good luck. PF

• cookiesdoc
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. I already ordered the Showy LS from Plantek based on someone else's recommendations. Is this okay? I could probably still cancel it. Thanks again!

• kwoods
    19 years ago

Planteck is the best source I have found for 100% lab prop Cyp reginae at a reasonable cost.

You will be very happy with the size and health of the plants you receive (I have been). The rest will be up to you.

I grow mine in a bog (and a few just outside a bog, still wet) in a mix of 50% milled sphagnum peat, 50% course quarts based sand (a little pearlite in there too). Every grower seems to have their own mix but the goal is the same. I adjust the ph to just above neutral with crushed lime. I track ph of all my Cyps monthly with a ph meter and adjust as needed. Key with all cyps is keeping roots moist without allowing them to rot, moist but well drained soil. Spread the roots anywhere between 45º to horizontal when planting (shallow not deep). Treat the roots like gold.

Do your research, it will be worth it. A pretty good new book is"The Gardeners Guide to Growing Hardy Perennial Orchids" by William Mathis, Ph.D. . But you can probably find all the info you need published on the web. Researching under what conditions these guys are found in nature helps too, you don't want to try to replicate it just get some cultural hints/clues.

You'll do great! Good Luck!

(Ross, I found lab prop arietinum)

• macranthos
    19 years ago

Cool, Where?

• kwoods
    19 years ago

Belgium.... small starts still in flask.

• plantfreak
    19 years ago

Well, there you have it! Everyone has their own method. The goal is an open mix that doesn't break down too rapidly with a near neutral pH. C. reginae has been grown successfully in a large range of mixes and also in artificial bogs. Here in Japan it is grown in pots by some in pure pulverized coniferous tree bark (with a texture like bald cypress mulch) with some charcol added. Good luck in your adventure. I think you'll have fun! PF

• cookiesdoc
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks again for the advice and interest. Well, I bought that pH probe and the bed where I want to plant them is ... 6.5. How's that? Do I need to do anything before my C. reginae arrive from Plantek?

Plantfreak, I am intrigued by the idea of putting C reginae in planters. I have to admit, I had thought of putting one in a planter, just because they are so costly. What do you think? What size planter would you use. Can I get "pure pulverized coniferous tree bark" here in the States? And how much is "some" charcoal? Thanks again.

• plantfreak
    19 years ago

I would not suggest you put them in planters simply because maintaining good moisture is much trickier in a container than in the ground. Be sure to prepare an adequate growing bed before getting your plant. Don't think about the coniferous bark I told you about. I mentioned it only to illustrate that growing media can vary widely. Follow the suggestions given so far and you'll be OK. One thing, when you make the bed dig it on the large size (particularly if you're making a bog). These plants have large root systems when mature. I'd say no less than 2'x2'x2'. Good luck and get that bed prepared pronto! PF

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH