Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tami58_gw

Bleeding Heart Question

tami58
14 years ago

The native nursery that I buy my plants at didn't have any bleeding heart. Today I was at conventional nursery & they had some so I bought 2 & brought them home. I started checking them out closer & found they are spectabilis. A book I have says these plants are native to Asia, not North America & that the eximia are the ones native to North America. Is this true? Or are they close enough that they are still considered native?

I'm really trying to be as close to my "roots" as possible.

Comments (10)

• mainegrower
    14 years ago

There are more than 20 species of dicentra and many hybrids. D. spectabilis is native to Asia, but has been grown in North America since Colonial times, so perhaps it's now an honorary native. D. spectabilis is a larger, more showy plant than the native North Americans such as cuccularia, canadensis, formosa, etc.

• coolplantsguy
    14 years ago

I'm not sure where you are gardening tami, but if you want a relatively showy Bleedingheart, try Dicentra formosa 'Luxuriant'. Dicentra formosa is native to the western U.S.

Keep in mind also, that the common Bleedingheart (D. spectabilis) will go dormant in the summer.

• tami58
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for your responses. I did not realize it will go dormant so that is useful information. I just did not want to plant something that will be invasive & not support the ecosystem I am trying to build in my yard.
    I have heard & read about "Luxuriant", but have not seen any available in nurseries around here. I don't know much about it. Perhaps our cold winters prevent it from doing well in zone 6? I don't know. Just throwing that out there.

• coolplantsguy
    14 years ago

Dicentra formosa and its cultivars are hardy to zone 4 or 5.

• davidl_ny5
    14 years ago

My Dicentra eximia is very nice, except that it tends to seed around. Not as showy as the fancy ones, but nice foliage dotted with pink or white hearts.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

FYI
    D. spectabilis is not an invasive plant. My D. eximia does seed all over. I actually weed it. 'Luxuriant' doesn't seed around and neither does 'King of Hearts'

• boyle014
    14 years ago

I have two clumps of dicentra from the same initial plant. The one by the garage is nice and lacy; the other one under an oak tree has gotten very leggy. Right next to the leggy dicentra are some chives that are big and thick. That makes me think the leggy dicentra might be getting too much sun. Or perhaps the soil there (moist) is too rich for the dicentra... Any ideas on what's causing the legginess?

Here in Minnesota (Z4), I've never seen or heard of invasive dicentra. Lots of people grow it and share it and it doesn't seem to get out of hand. If anything, it's a bit temperamental in this zone.

• raehelen
    14 years ago

boyle,

Dicentras can take a fair amount of sun (don't know about summers where you are- but here in the Pacific NorthWest- we tend not to get too much hot blazing sun! :>). If it's under the Oak tree, perhaps it's suffering from too much shade (legginess often implies stretching for sun)? Even thought the chives are doing well- are they under as much Oak as the dicentra?

Dicentra spectablis won't get invasive, but the D. exima which is a wildflower here, can take over beds, but is easy enough to pull out!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

Tami,

I'm going to assume you live in Pennsylvania (I saw your post in that forum). If so, you should check out the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources Invasive Species List, linked below. That list can help you determine if a plant species is bad for the environment in your state.

No Dicentra species is listed as invasive in Pennsylvania.

Here is a link that might be useful: PA Dept. of Conserv. & Nat. Resources Invasive Species List

• tami58
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Brandon. I've added it to my favs for a quick reference.