Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gbronner

My Woodland Garden

gbronner
16 years ago

Hi everyone I am new to this forum and I just wanted to drop by and introduce myself. I am a professional groundskeeper living in the Chicago area . Five days a week I maintain an Urban Garden on Chicago's south side for the oldest chartered hospital in the City of Chicago. But on the weekends I get to spend time on my own personal garden which is a woodland garden I have ben developing over the past six years on some property we own. I will attempt to post a couple of pictures here and hope it works :)

This is a shot of the property six years ago when we first started with it.

It was a large undertaking and a lot of work. Here is a shot I took last weekend and as you can see things are looking a bit brighter.

here is one last shot I took last week it is ou our $150.00 pond and waterfall. Next to the sound of all the song birds which come to visit us every weekend I think the sound of the waterfall is the most soothing thing about our woodland garden and certainly will quickly empty your mind os the days worries.

I look forward to visiting this forum a lot more and if I can be of any assistance please feel free to contact me. I think all of you have some pretty remarkable areas to work with.

Comments (3)

• gonativegal
    16 years ago

Dear Glenn,

Your garden is beautiful. Where in Chicago are you? I have an big native wildflower garden myself - both prairie and woodland. I live near Midway.

• Flowerkitty
    16 years ago

That is so pretty. The fountain in the shade surrounded by fern is a fabulous idea.

It is such a good feeling to turn around a piece of property. People look at that nice forest floor and have no idea the work it takes to bring it back to that condition. They think you had it easy because the ground looks like it takes care of itself. It does too, once you break your back fixing things and then police the area for invaders

So worth it.

• gbronner
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank You Gonativegal and Flowerkitty for your comments. My woodland garden is in Woodhaven lakes about 120 miles west of downtown Chicago in a little town called Sublette. My Urban Garden is in downtown Chicago on the South Side at 26th and State where I maintain the grounds of the oldest chartered hospital in the City of Chicago. I live in Crest Hill which is almost dead center between the two.

It really is a lot of work to build a garden like the Woodland Garden and it really never stops there is always a new project list but once I hit the gate to the Woodland Garden on the weekends it is like stepping into paradise and the whole weeks worries and problems disapear for a couple of days.

When you wake up on Saturday Morning and go sit on the deck with your cup of coffee it is so peaceful and quiet. The deer run down a path behind the property that backs up to a cornfield. Of course the squirels love playing in the trees but the biggest treat is the songbirds coming to greet you.

Here is a view of Our Place out in The Woodland Garden

As you can see from this original photo of the trailer when we got the property the grounds were not the only thing we changed.

I will be posting new pictures from time to time as we continue to improve and change the woodland gardens.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County