Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mobs_gw

Do you know this native groundcover?

Mobs
10 years ago

This is a low groundcover, growing in the Blue Ridge mountains of North Carolina. Leaves are about 1/2 to 1". Very moist area. Generally shaded, woodlands, adjacent to stream.

Comments (11)

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

Looks like Glechoma hederacea which is not native.

• poaky1
    7 years ago

I thought that this was a nativ e plant here in Pa, thanks for the heads up esh-ga.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    7 years ago

It bears a rough resemblance to wild strawberry which is an ubiquitous weed, so I understand that it looks native :)

• wisconsitom
    7 years ago

Yeah, esh's got it. Far from being native, a tough customer in lawns, which themselves are...of course...non-native plant communities! I tolerate mine, now that I have grandkids playing in the lawn. And the fresh minty smell upon mowing is actually quite delightful. But it is an aggressive spreader, of that there's no doubt.

• User
    7 years ago

My property in central Ohio is loaded with that stuff.

• wisconsitom
    7 years ago

Many years ago-we've been in the same little house for decades now-I did in fact rid my lawn of all broadleaf weeds including Glechoma. It required two apps of phenoxy herbicides, about ten days apart, but it did work. Of course, all the planting beds along the border and really, just the lawns themselves allowed the stuff to come roaring back from adjacent low-maintenance yards. The takeover is now complete, from one end of the yard to the other. That, along with wood violets and other assorted weeds including clovers comprise most of my lawn at this time. I've learned not to care. And again, with my newest baby granddaughter living in an apartment we own right above our house, the occasions for that little one to be out in the grass playing are numerous. Right now, that takes precedence over having a weed-free lawn. In fact, it's not even close!

• wisconsitom
    7 years ago

Martha,I agree with you but trust me, I'm not just getting started! Heh, my yard, and certainly my acreage "up north" is a wildlife paradise. And I do know just a little bit if you'll pardon a large heaping helping of understatement-about native plants and all that! It's a huge part of my job, among other things.

You make a good point about the insects: One day this very spring, while standing out in the yard admiring all my dandelions, me and one son watched bees visiting the yellow flowers. So, they are not useless or whatever term may be flung their way. Still kinda ugly gone to seed, but my number one granddaughter said to me-also this spring-that dandelions are "her favorite flower". Considering what the old man (me) does for a living, that's fairly hilarious, but ya gotta love it. And I certainly do!

• poaky1
    7 years ago

I use Roundup around alot of my trees, but, this stuff seems to grow in the absence of the other weeds, I would rather have this stuff growing than the tree of heaven Virginia creeper and wild grape, among other weeds.

• docmom_gw
    7 years ago

Tom,

I wasn't even reading your name. Don't I feel like a ditz.

• wisconsitom
    7 years ago

S'no problem. I've goofed a bit here and there too many times to count here in webland!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting