Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone ID this plant

Posted by gardenway z6 KY (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 12 at 8:52

Sorry, I don't have a picture. It has leaves similar to "marigold type" and the leaves have a sweet scent (very pleasant), small white flowers. This year has gotten very tall, because of so much rain I guess. Grows in groups - that is, a lot of them in one place versus single plant locations. Doesn't necessarily come up in same spots each year, can be in different areas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone ID this plant

I'm going to hazard the guess of valerian, Valeriana officinalis. The scent....though some find its smell pleasant, others say it smells like dirty socks!

If you can post a picture, we could certainly help more.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Google images - Valerian

o

No, not Valerian - wrong kind of leaves. I just went out and picked some leaves and flower cluster, and I think it is Sweet Cicely. However, I don't think this is the one I thought I was posting about because there wasn't any scent when I brushed against it. I read that Sweet Cicely has licorice scent in the roots.
So I've ID'd this but still don't know what the other one is (with sweet smell and hadn't seen bloom) that I've been wondering about for a number of years!
Too many mosquitoes to go out and poke around looking for it right now.

o

Could be sweet cicely. This one seeds out rampantly in good soil. I use if more for areas in which nothing will grow...poor soil, tree roots, etc. If you don't want them to multiply, you need to cut back and dispose of before those seeds spread!

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 4, 12 at 12:55

post a photo on the name that plant forum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here