Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deer Flies!

Posted by jimbobfeeny 5a IN (My Page) on
Sat, May 26, 12 at 9:09

A nice, moist woodland with a wide, flowing stream running through it is beautiful - Unfortunately, it is also prime real estate for deer flies. I just walked into my woods this morning, and ended up "skedaddling" after a cloud of deer flies and mosquitos started attacking me. Luckly, they are only around for a month or so!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deer Flies!

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Sat, May 26, 12 at 10:51

I've had good results with the Avon skin so soft spray. Reapply after 2 hours. If you don't like the spray you can try mixing the liquid with a lotion and spread it with your hands.

Be sure to get behind the knee or underside of upper calf, under the chin, back of arms, ankle, etc. Those are the places they get me if I've missed a spot.

The flies like to hover in the cool of our cherry trees when it's warm outside, so I avoid walking down that path. Hope that helps!

o

deer flies, ticks, mosquitoes, oh my!

o

I've trapped over 11,000 deer flies in the first 5 weeks of the 2012 deer fly season in Michigan using my version of the trolling deer fly trap developed by Dr. Mizell. My trap uses an umbrella, blue cups, and Tangle-Trap (purchased through Amazon). Check out my blog for how to make and use this easy effective trap. I've also posted my trapping data there. Happy trapping!

http://deerflytrapumbrella.blogspot.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: deer fly trap umbrella

o

Hey, I like your invention (or, version etc.), UmbrellaGirl! I'll keep that in mind. I live in a woodland spot, although not really 'in the woods.'

When we walk our dogs, I usually have with me a small spray bottle of 50/50 vinegar/water & few drops of clove oil. When needed, I spray a cloud around me, not really 'on' me, and it seems to work as a good barrier against any kind of flies or bugs. Maybe plain water would be as effective, I don't know.

I've said to people that I'd like to have a small parasol with a push-button system of spraying the solution all around me in a circle -- the idea is that the handle would be a hollow tube for the solution, and some kind of pump would send the solution down through the spokes and out.

So far, my idea has generated a few snickers and laughs from my family, and even I myself do laugh at this idea, but -- ???

I really would like one!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here