Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is it??

Posted by gardenway z6 KY (My Page) on
Sun, May 21, 06 at 9:42

I have a small wooded area that I am slowing clearing, or trying to keep within bounds, of honeysuckle and other nightmare plants. There is a plant/weed that has the scent of licorice when pulled up - I'm wondering if it is wild chervil/southern chervil. Anyone have a clue?
I did check the weed forum.
Thanks of any ID help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is it??

this same topic came up somewhere within the last week. sorry, i can't think of where! i just did nearly 10 minutes worth of searching these forums and can't find it. sorry.

o
yahoo search

is this it?

Here is a link that might be useful: sweet cicely

o

No, it isn't sweet cicely - I wish it was! The leaves on whatever I have aren't solid; I can't think how else to describe the leaves.
Thanks for your efforts.

o

does that mean the foliage is very fine, sort of like dill?

o

fairy toadmother - best I can describe the leaf is as lacey and fernlike.
I have done so many searches on chervil, whether the wild, the spreading, the southern, and it looks very much like chervil but not quite.
These leaves are daintier looking.
I thought it had a scent of licorice, but my sense of smell is not that great. So best to say it is aromatic.
It is growing abundantly and everywhere.

o

Just a suggestion, dog fennel is very delicate and also aromatic. It is Eupatorium capillifolium.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dog fennel

o

Thanks for the link - unfortunately that isn't it either.
I'll revise my description/leaves to just lacey - and the edges aren't smooth, i.e. are "cut-out" like a maple leaf or oak leaf for instance.

o

o

to groundcover - I don't think it is anis, although the leaves do look very similar - the leaves on what I have are finer looking. One of these days I'm going to borrow a camera so I can post a picture.
I've noticed that when the leaves are dried the fragance is wonderful. If I was going to make homemade potpourri this would definitely be one of the ingredients. Also the leaves wilt quickly when picked.
So far the tallest a plant has gotten is about 12". I'm waiting to see if it gets flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here