Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will Euphorbia rebloom if deadheaded?

Posted by Dieter2NC z7b NC (My Page) on
Tue, May 10, 05 at 9:46

I have some beautiful Euphorbias that I planted last fall, the bloomed in late winter. I was curious as to wether they will form seedheads I can collect or if I deadhead them will they rebloom. Also, can they be divided?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will Euphorbia rebloom if deadheaded?

• Posted by KWoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Tue, May 10, 05 at 14:28

I don't know that much about Euphorbias but I do know there are at least 1500 species within the genus so yours may be different from mine. The one I have (and love!) is wood spurge, Euphorbia amygdaloides (sp?). It is purple/green and has greenish/yellowish floral bracts. It does not rebloom but I do not deadhead it nor have I divided it because it reseeds like crazy which is great and not obnoxious at all. Mine seems to merrily enjoy it's abuse in dry shade and decent/rich woodland soil. I think a lot of them seed around if you let them.

o

As the previous post said, "euphorbia" is not an exact name. You have to know what species, variety, or hybrid you have. If you've got a native species, it's best not to deadhead, because birds and other critters will probably eat the seeds, plus the plant may selfseed. Also, the reason that many of us grow natives is that we want a more natural, less groomed look, and in nature, plants are not deadheaded.

o

With the exception of some weeds, there are very few species of euphorbia native to North America and no ornamental species I am aware of so I wouldn't worry too much about deadheading any natives to the detriment of wildlife. Any deadheading will not prompt rebloom on euphorbs anyway, however many of the evergreen species will not produce flowers (or cymes) on stalks that have already bloomed and removing them encourages the development of new growth for next season's flowers as well as reducing their propensity to reseed too freely. Herbaceous forms you can leave untouched until frost cuts them back, however many of these will reseed freely - in some cases rampantly - so removal of seed heads may be appropriate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here