Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jack-in-the-pulpit color

Posted by mfliegner z5MI (My Page) on
Wed, May 11, 05 at 10:12

I just purchased a Jack-in-the-pulpit, Arisaema triphyllum, from a reputable store, Bordine's. The question I have is the spathe is green - it looks like the leaves of the plant. I bought this one, because it was the biggest one, and the salesperson assured me it would turn white/brown, which is the way I have seen them before. Well, I have had the plant a week and it is still as green as ever. Is this normal? Will it always be green or will it vary from year to year? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jack-in-the-pulpit color

• Posted by KWoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Wed, May 11, 05 at 11:35

My understanding is there are many variations on the single species tryphyllum. Some taxonomists/botonists even classify them as three distinct species or subspecies with many different variations within the three A. atrorubens, A. triphyllum, and A. stewardsonii some even use another A. quinatum to encompass triphyllum and atrorubens into a single ssp. Triphyllum also supposedly hybridizes naturally in some places with A. dracontium, I'd like to see one of these. Whatever the taxonomy there are many different color variants.

Sounds like you have stewardsonii which is a more northern variant. A VERY nice plant.

o

i have jack-in-the-pulpit that have spread on their own. the original one was green with lighter green stripes but, the "babies" are the nice dark brownish with cream stripes. perhaps there are natural variations within the same species?

o

Thanks for the information! I will just enjoy this one as it is and look for its babies (years from now!).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here