Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomasincas

Re:What is this ?

tomasincas
15 years ago

Its is located right next to a Fern that is starting to come up...I know it is not a fern and I think I have seen this somewhere before,but I dont know what it is ....Tom in Pa.

Comments (14)

• adiantium
    15 years ago

It looks to me like a new stand of Dutchman's Breeches (Dicentra cucullaria).

• razorback33
    15 years ago

Here's a description and some photos.
    This one isn't native in my area and I've tried for years to establish it in my garden, without long term success.
    It seems to prefer cooler climates.
    You are fortunate to have them growing in your area and appearing in your garden. To me, they are a very desirable spring ephemeral.
    Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Dutchman's Breeches

• myrtle_59
    15 years ago

squirrel corn or dutchmans breeches. I can't remember the leaf til I see the blossom.

• waplummer
    15 years ago

The two are difficult to tell apart from the leaf. The glowers and the roots are distinctive.

• myrtle_59
    15 years ago

I just received some dutchmen's breeches and squirrel corn roots to plant.

Boy do I get where squirrel corn gets its name!

• tomasincas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Razorback,adiantium,myrtle and waplummer,thanks,I looked them both up ( Dutchmens breeches and Squirrel corn )...
    Boy I guess your right...they may be hard to tell apart, maybee when it produces some sort of flower..I dont think it will be this year..hope it hangs on, till it gets bigger next year..either one of the pictures looked kind of neat.So I would be happy to get either type..waplummer,I know about the roots,but what are the glowers??..Sorry about not getting back right away...been busy this last week
    doing yard work and trying to take some of my White and Blue Spanish Bluebells,splitting them up and placing them all around in my little woodlands. A lot of them didn't like the shock ( withering away ),but the bulbs should do ok for next year..Tom in Pa.

• tomasincas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry I said Spannish Bluebells ,they are English Bluebells.
    Hope I have them correct,English are supposed to droop more

• pondwelr
    15 years ago

Tom, Your woodland garden looks exactally like the one I want to have. Did you plant the natives, or were they already intrinsic to your woods? Loved that spectacular Mayapple. I just started some, also bluebells and blood
    root. I long for trillium but want to be assured of their source. I have jacks to divide, and bleeding heart too.

What do you all have? Pondy

• tomasincas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pondy ,some of the stuff is right from the immediate area and some ferns from Neighbors and Daughters ,a lot from within 500ft of this place..its just a mini woodlands.
    This sub division that I am in used to be a piece of farmland or dumping spot at one time. A lot of people in this sub division cut a lot of their trees down, and lost a lot of native stuff.There were some Jack in the pulpits,false Solomons Seals, Grape ferns ,Virginia Creeper and more I cant think of.
    Birds with their droppings, add native plants like Prenanthes altissima ( a native aster family plant ). I had purchased the Bloodroot because I have not seen any of it around here and thought it was cool.We have Mayapples
    around the area as well as trillium ( white ) will buy red someday to add..I also have these mini pine tree types..they dont get more than 5-6 inches..they pop up here and there..would like to have only native types,but some Hostas etc. get thrown into the mix.If you would like to see a mini slide show , I'll try and put the link up here...i dont have real good sucess..please let me know if it comes thru....Tom

• amelanchier
    15 years ago

"mini pine tree types" = clubmoss??

• ontheteam
    15 years ago

slide show worked just great thanks for sharing! It looks very well done!

• tomasincas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

amlenchier,there are two types of mini pines,one is real, real thin almost prickily type of pine and the other is a thicker type.I have some lycopodium( real tiny needles )but thats not what these are,unless they are another form..I will try and post two pictures.One has the real thin prickily type on the left and three are the thicker variety...they are four or five years old and they never get more than 4 inches or so high

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

The one on the left (prickly) appears to be a seedling red cedar (Juniperus virginiana) and the one on the right and in the second picture appears to be a seedling Hemlock.

• tomasincas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

esh ,dont know if we have any Juniperus virginiana around here,but I am sure the birds could have helped in distributing them.I do have a hemlock,but its a not wild or native type.It is a store bought type manacured to a cone shape out in the front yard,that we used to decorate at Xmas time. I dont know how they reproduce,dont see any berries or any seeds like a maple nor cones like my Blue spruce. what amazes me is that they stay about 4-5 inches high year after year.thanks for the info.I will look up those two on Google pictures and see if any show up that look the same.....Tom in Pa.

Sponsored