Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheilaschnauzies

Hello/Best Way To ID Woodland Plants??

sheilaschnauzies
14 years ago

New to this forum but old to GW!! We bought an acreage two years ago in southeast Missouri about 5 miles as the crow flies from the Mississippi River. We have about 1/3 pond, 1/3 house/yard, and 1/3 trees/forest on 5 acres. I have been busy moving my inherited perennials around, dividing them, adding the plants from the old gardens that survived the move, and of course adding new plants! But right now everything's kind of ok for a while and I wanted to focus on my woodland plants.

I love to take "nature walks" and in the springtime like now, I go NUTS over all the strange little plants and baby trees I see in my woods! I would just love to know all their names as I am interested in medicinal herbs, etc. (like I grow my own comfrey to make salve, for instance). I'm sure I have some treasures growing here! We moved here from Nebraska so everything is new and different.

So... aside from coughing up the $12 bucks for the Missouri DOC's native plant guide (ha ha) what would you all consider the best method/source of ID'ing these plants? (Besides bugging y'all every day, LOL) Any ideas appreciated!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH