Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myrtle_59

Need idea, native vines

myrtle_59
15 years ago

I have a new wall made of those interlocking blocks. It's high (4 ft) in partial shade. Above it is a bank I am making into a 'woodland' garden. Myrtle, and ferns and spring blooming wildflowers. At the base of the wall is grass. DH says he does not mow right up against the wall. We don't used insecticides etc and rarely fertilize. I do not lime.

I would like a vine (or several, this wall is probably 60 feet long) that will soften the wall and also attract hummers, butterflies by their flowers and or other birds by their fruit. I would be happy will summer and fall color from it. We have lots of deer so preferably not something that is deer candy.

Thanks for your ideas.

Comments (15)

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

Virginia Creeper. Its a bit aggressive, but easy to control. Birds love the berries and it turns a beautiful a deep red in the fall.

Not sure about the deer candy though?

• myrtle_59
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Matter of fact I have that and I like it. It is on the bank above the wall right now volunteering here and there. THe house I grew up in was covered by it. It loses leaves in the winter but is pretty in the fall. I think I might transplant some it, thanks!

I am still hoping for something to bring the hummers and summer flowers too.

• amelanchier
    15 years ago

Some native vines I will be trying this year include Vitis riparia (riverbank grape), Clematis virginiana (devil's darning needles), and Apios americana (groundnut). I believe Lonicera sempervirens (trumpet honeysuckle) attracts the hummers, but I don't have any experience with it.

• bob64
    15 years ago

Tubular flowers are supposed to attract hummers. The trumpet honeysuckle is supposed to be good for hummers. I planted some a few years back but it hasn't flowered yet. Apparently, that is a common complaint. Another thing to consider is that the trumpet honeysuckle can be very aggressive so don't plant it unless you really want it permanently and are prepared to accept or deal with potential spread. I have heard from one friend that groundnut can also be very aggressive but have no personal expeience with that one. Someone planted a "butterfly garden" where I do my gardening work and I noticed that hummers also showed up in addition to butterflies so, in the flat areas, you might also try a mixture of various flowers. Around here the hummers also like jewel weed.

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

If you are looking for hummers, you could plant other plants, in addition to the vine to attract them. I get lots of hummers on my purple coneflowers, they eat the insects that hang out in the spines.

I also have cardinal flower and royal catchfly that are great for hummers also.

• kwoods
    15 years ago

I grow passiflora incarnata and aristolochia tomentosa as host plants for butterflys. Passionflower has very cool blossoms as well, actually both do. Both are native but unsure if they are native in your part of PA, no clue on deer resistance.... worth a try.

Maybe ask on the butterflys and hummers forums as well?

• myrtle_59
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for these ideas. Has anyone grown pipevine?

• myrtle_59
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Trumpet creeper?

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Trumpet creeper (Campsis radicans) can be a bit aggressive. Not sure of one the newer cultivars might be less so.

• myrtle_59
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks. I am persuaded by the literature that says the hummingbirds love it.

Does it take a long time to start or bloom?

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

It only took 9 posts for someone to mention the nasty nasty, Trumpet creeper. I was wondering how long it would take. It is invasive and difficult to control, I would not, I repeat, I WOULD NOT PLANT TRUMPET CREEPER.

• myrtle_59
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I hear ya Jopye but I am wondering what zone you live in. Up here I never see it as a weed.

• krenster
    15 years ago

Trumpet creeper probably doesn't have a chance up here in Pennsylvania. The deer eat everything that isn't glued down ... LOL

I have a honeysuckle climbing up a cliff that looks OK, but it dies back in winter. So do the clematis I have growing up deck posts. I have a climbing oak-leaf hydrangea that doesn't really die back, but it takes a long time to get established and even longer to bloom (Five years and counting. Sigh).

I have a couple of hummingbirds that return every year just for the annuals I plant in pots on our deck. You might want to consider a glorious spread of annual flowers at the bottom of the wall, and a climber that isn't necessarily a summer show-stopper but has other attributes.

• myrtle_59
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good suggestion Kren. I am in PA too and the deer literally sleep in my yard not to mention eat here. The hummers used to come for my hostas but now the deer eat them early in the spring. They seem to leave the beebalm alone. I am also looking at native honeysuckle. I was hoping to find a vine that would not need a trellis but have little feet like ivy and just cling to the stone. The info says trumpet creeper does that but I don't know about the deer or invasiveness though I think that may be more of an issue in a warmer climate.

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

Trumpet honeysuckle is great; try the native goldflame as well. It's fragrant like the japanese without the invasiveness. I've also heard scarlet runner bean is good for hummers, but haven't tried it yet. Cardinal climber can be tough to find; at least a non-aggressive variety. And I'm trying annual climbing nasturtiums this year...so far, so good, although the hummers may not care one way or the other. But they look and taste great!

Sponsored