Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnski_gw

What about pieris?

lynnski
15 years ago

At the borders of our woods, and in other locations as well, we have a shrubby plant that suckers madly. Now that spring is upon us in central Massachusetts, they are blooming and the blooms (if blooms is the right term) look like pieris/andromeda. However, the leaves are not evergreen, nor are they stiff like the leaves ons the pieris/andromeda that I remember from my suburban childhood. The bell-like blooms are a kind of dingy white, and they are not abundant. Also, the overall growth habit is rather rangey, not compact at all. (I recognize, however, that the growth habit I am observing may have very little to do with their "normal" habit; judging by the abundant stumps everywhere, I think that the suckers have been lopped off for years by previous owners.)

Is this plant considered desirable, tolerable, or invasive as a woodland shrub? It is not growing in the woods, but is abundant at the borders. How do you think it should be treated in a naturalistic woodland garden bordering woods and wetlands?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths