Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pine needle paths & snakes

Posted by wisteria-tx 8 (My Page) on
Sat, May 22, 10 at 11:44

I am planning pathways through a wooded area and will need to go the cheapest route. I was originally thinking wood chips which, if I'm lucky enough to catch our county workers out trimming, I can get for free by the truckload. But I went to get some of the last load I received 2 years ago and left to compost and it had became a nesting spot for snakes.

So now I'm thinking pine needles, also a freebie, but wondering if I'll be stepping on snakes that burrow under the straw.

Over the years I've come across several types of snakes in my two wooded acres. Harmless grass, chicken, king, buttermilk, etc., but also quite a few cottonmouth water moccassins. We're a low-lying wet area.

Has anyone tried pine straw and have they had any problem with it attracting snakes? I'm in southeast Texas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pine needle paths & snakes

1. How about just using sand or just weeding the pathways and keeping them clear of plants.
2. On controlling the snakes, find out what kind of areas they like to be in, such as piles of brush, etc. and then develop areas away from your paths that would draw the snakes there. Most snakes won't bother you unless you run across one by surprise and it has no easy exit. So you may want to make your paths that would not be too close to downed trees or old stumps or logs with abundant leaf litter. Surprised you have not ran across any copperheads.

o
RE: Pine needle paths & snakes

1. How about just using sand or just weeding the pathways and keeping them clear of plants.
2. On controlling the snakes, find out what kind of areas they like to be in, such as piles of brush, etc. and then develop areas away from your paths that would draw the snakes there. Most snakes won't bother you unless you run across one by surprise and it has no easy exit. So you may want to make your paths that would not be too close to downed trees or old stumps or logs with abundant leaf litter. Surprised you have not ran across any copperheads.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here