Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone ID this for me? Trillium or Jack in Pulpit, or..?

Posted by prairiemoon2 zone 6/MA (My Page) on
Thu, May 1, 08 at 11:58

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I can't remember what I planted. [g] I know I had something that was dormant that I planted in the fall. I thought it was a trillium, but I am not familiar with what they look like when they come up. This area had a Jack in the Pulpit, that I thought had died out. That's all I know. Anyone recognize it?

pm2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone ID this for me? Trillium or Jack in Pulpit, or..?

That is trillium. Jacks have only one central big vein on its leaf, while trillium has many small veins. Both have three leaves and come up at the same time, so its easy to mistake one for the other.
Pondy

o

Oh, how exciting! I bought it half price last fall and it looked like a pot of soil. [g] Any special hints on how to take care of it? Will it bloom this year?

Thanks pondwelr!

pm2

o

Yes, that is a bloom bud in the middle. No special tips, just mark where it is so that when it goes dormant, you won't plant on top of it.

o

Sorry, I dont grow them myself. However, I know they grow like weeds in all the woodlands around West Bend, WI, where I live. That means they like shade, probably dry soil, leaf litter and even woody debris. My only advice would be to not 'kill it with kindness'.

They are beautiful, arent they? maybe I should try some too. I sure have enough treed areas on my lot.

It looks like it has a flower bloom in the center already.

Pondy

o

Deer love them, hope they don't browse at your house.

o

Good to know myrtle, no, we don't have deer here at all so unless rabbits or groundhogs love them, then they are safe. :-)

o

So far the rabbits and groundhogs have left my trilliums alone, Of coirse I have a veggie garden they munch on.

o

It bloomed!

:-)
pm2

o

Well I am jealous. My Trillium Grandiflorums hasn't even peeked yet. I planted them 2 weeks ago and ordered them from Viola Valley.

o

taurean...mine was planted dormant last fall and no one was more surprised then I was to see it come up and bloom. I am going to look for more of them
in the fall again. I hope yours come up soon, or at least you will be able to get a refund and find them somewhere else. Try looking for more in the fall at 50% off too!

:-)
pm2

o

I know this is an old post from back in '08,but I have something to contribute. I primarily garden with hostas,but my garden is in the woods in the mountains of western NC,so I think I qualify for the woodlands forum. This is a pic of one of my Trilliums,which I actually planted. I also have lots of native Trilliums in pink and fuschia,which come up every year in my hosta garden. I never move them,(unles they are in a path),mostly,I just incorporate them in the garden wherever they come up. Your Trillium will multiply,and you will get more flowers. Trilliums are easy to identify. They always have three leaves leaves,and a three petal flower,hence the name Tri-llium,meaning three. Take a look. Phil

Photobucket

o

hosta_freak: sent you an email

o

I have had trilliums for several years and have found that they generally need a little time to settle in after planting before they spread out. They are very reliable once they have settled in, though.

Here are a couple photos from last year.

Cypripediums and Trilliums

Trilliums Arisaema and ferns

This year mine are starting to poke out their little leaves already, so spring is not too far off.

o

Lovely. Thanks for sharing. A fenced in space keeps the critters away, as Trilliums are great food for them.

Wish more people would include natives...some are so spectacular, as are the Trilliums, and there are so many species of them. Enjoy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here