Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Can anyone ID this for me? Trillium or Jack in Pulpit, or..?

I can't remember what I planted. [g] I know I had something that was dormant that I planted in the fall. I thought it was a trillium, but I am not familiar with what they look like when they come up. This area had a Jack in the Pulpit, that I thought had died out. That's all I know. Anyone recognize it?

pm2

Comments (14)

• pondwelr
    15 years ago

That is trillium. Jacks have only one central big vein on its leaf, while trillium has many small veins. Both have three leaves and come up at the same time, so its easy to mistake one for the other.
    Pondy

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, how exciting! I bought it half price last fall and it looked like a pot of soil. [g] Any special hints on how to take care of it? Will it bloom this year?

Thanks pondwelr!

pm2

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Yes, that is a bloom bud in the middle. No special tips, just mark where it is so that when it goes dormant, you won't plant on top of it.

• pondwelr
    15 years ago

Sorry, I dont grow them myself. However, I know they grow like weeds in all the woodlands around West Bend, WI, where I live. That means they like shade, probably dry soil, leaf litter and even woody debris. My only advice would be to not 'kill it with kindness'.

They are beautiful, arent they? maybe I should try some too. I sure have enough treed areas on my lot.

It looks like it has a flower bloom in the center already.

Pondy

• myrtle_59
    15 years ago

Deer love them, hope they don't browse at your house.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good to know myrtle, no, we don't have deer here at all so unless rabbits or groundhogs love them, then they are safe. :-)

• misskimmie
    15 years ago

So far the rabbits and groundhogs have left my trilliums alone, Of coirse I have a veggie garden they munch on.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:158849}}

It bloomed!

:-)
    pm2

• taurean
    15 years ago

Well I am jealous. My Trillium Grandiflorums hasn't even peeked yet. I planted them 2 weeks ago and ordered them from Viola Valley.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

taurean...mine was planted dormant last fall and no one was more surprised then I was to see it come up and bloom. I am going to look for more of them
    in the fall again. I hope yours come up soon, or at least you will be able to get a refund and find them somewhere else. Try looking for more in the fall at 50% off too!

:-)
    pm2

• hosta_freak
    12 years ago

I know this is an old post from back in '08,but I have something to contribute. I primarily garden with hostas,but my garden is in the woods in the mountains of western NC,so I think I qualify for the woodlands forum. This is a pic of one of my Trilliums,which I actually planted. I also have lots of native Trilliums in pink and fuschia,which come up every year in my hosta garden. I never move them,(unles they are in a path),mostly,I just incorporate them in the garden wherever they come up. Your Trillium will multiply,and you will get more flowers. Trilliums are easy to identify. They always have three leaves leaves,and a three petal flower,hence the name Tri-llium,meaning three. Take a look. Phil

{{gwi:1353744}}

• illinoisdoglover
    12 years ago

hosta_freak: sent you an email

• Cynthia Jones
    12 years ago

I have had trilliums for several years and have found that they generally need a little time to settle in after planting before they spread out. They are very reliable once they have settled in, though.

Here are a couple photos from last year.

This year mine are starting to poke out their little leaves already, so spring is not too far off.

• Lynda Waldrep
    12 years ago

Lovely. Thanks for sharing. A fenced in space keeps the critters away, as Trilliums are great food for them.

Wish more people would include natives...some are so spectacular, as are the Trilliums, and there are so many species of them. Enjoy!

Sponsored