Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
graywings123

Help me save my Lady Slipper

graywings123
18 years ago

I have a pink Lady Slipper orchid growing next to a large Virginia Pine tree in my yard. The pine is going to be cut down in a week or so. It is topheavy and leaning; there is no choice about this. The orchid is about four inches away from the trunk.

It seems to me that I have two choices, move or try to protect the orchid. From what I have read, they don't like to be moved. For protecting it, I was thinking of covering it with a a large coffee can for the duration. The stump of the tree will remain, although I don't know how low the company will cut it. But I fear that even if the orchid were to survive the event of the tree coming down, the change in its environment with the tree gone is going to negatively affect it.

What would you do?

Comments (7)

• Iris GW
    18 years ago

I think the only fear you should have is damage by the tree cutters. It's root system could be as large as 24 inches by 24 inches. Therefore, if you want to cover it, use something bigger than a coffee can. You can also point it out to the crew (in addition to covering it) so that they are aware of what they are avoiding.

I think the ladyslipper can live without the tree, assuming that the loss of the tree will not create a full sun environment in that spot. You have other trees nearby?

• graywings123
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have lots of other trees and bushy things nearby. There will be a bit more sun, I imagine, but the tree is bare for the first 50-60 feet from the ground, so it doesn't account for all of the shade in that area.

So I am looking at 12 inches of roots coming out in all directions???? I will have to come up with something much larger than a coffee can. Thanks for the advice - I will start planning.

I assume you do not see moving the orchid as an option?

• Iris GW
    18 years ago

Moving it can be an option. Given the possible span of the roots, dig wide and shallow (perhaps 5 inches deep). I would choose a spot at the base of a pine, prepare the spot before you dig the plant. In my area, they like the pine duff (rotted old pine needles), so add plenty of that into the soil you are preparing.

Here is a link to a few messages about relocating them.

Here is a link that might be useful: other info

• plantfreak
    18 years ago

Is your slipper OK?

• graywings123
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, it is OK, it survived the tree cutting; the workmen were very careful around it. But now that the tree is gone, the orchid seems too exposed. I am now thinking of moving it to a safer location under another pine. It didn't bloom this year, but there have been years in the past when it has not bloomed. Is there a best time of year to dig it up?

To my surprise, I noticed two more Lady Slippers near that tree, several inches apart. Each only has one leaf. In previous years, I have had some that only had one leaf.

• plantfreak
    18 years ago

If you move it, wait until it is dormant, sometime in October or November. Is the plant getting any direct sun on it? If not, or if the sun is early morning or late afternoon, then if will be fine. I would only move it if it gets direct sun from 10 to 3 o'clock. Otherwise, I wouldn't touch it. PF

• graywings123
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info about the best time to move it. No direct sun to speak of, but it lost its pine tree ecosystem.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH