Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ademink_gw

Large tree coming down - will woodlands survive?

ademink
12 years ago

I have a huge boxelder tree that is coming down this week....creates dense shade for the west/northwest corner of the fenced yard. It is growing into the power lines and they keep removing half of the tree....so then it suckers like crazy back into the lines...the cycle continues. The other half of it has one huge arm sticking up twice as high as the rest of the tree and half of it is dead with the rest declining.

I wanted to save the tree but alas...I think it is a futile effort. :(

Ok, enough of my emotional attachment and issues that need a therapist. LOL

Here is the plant issue: this part of my yard has many thriving woodland plants and shade/moisture-loving plants. When the tree comes down, it will open up the area to southern sun from about 2pm on. Fortunately, when the wicked western sun kicks in, the privacy fence will shield much of the area.

I know the hosta can make it with more sun and may, in fact, do better.

The plants I am concerned about: arisaema (many varieties), trillium (many varieties), rodgersia (the area they are in will still be moist but obviously the rate of transpiration will be greatly accelerated), various pulmonaria, woodland orchids, meadow rue, ferns galore...you name it. I also have a Deinanthe caerulea that is HUGE and gorgeous. It is in pretty deep shade...eek!

I can and will water the dogdoodoo out of the stuff this summer and plan to plant another/some smaller tree(s) back there eventually but just wondering if I am going to kill off my hard-earned woodland area. :(

Anyway, thoughts? Suggestions? Commiseration? LOL

TIA!

Andrea

Comment (1)