Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimka_gw

Solomon's seal and heavy shade

kimka
18 years ago

Does anybody know how much shade variegated solomon's seal can take. Like full dense shade next to the ferns?

Comments (12)

• anitamo
    18 years ago

I have the regular green SS, and a lot of them are in pretty deep shad, like under Norway maples. I don't have the varigated ones, but I thought all varigated leaves need some sun?

• susanargus
    18 years ago

My mother has varigated solomon's seal under a big silver maple at the edge of a lawn. It gets some evening sun but the rest of the day it is shaded. Not sure if this helps you :)

• joepyeweed
    18 years ago

my mom has a bunch of solomen's seal (cant remember if its varigated or not) that is in shade all day but gets maybe an hour or two of evening sunlight. it does well and really started to thrive and multiply once we started burning.

• froggy
    18 years ago

i have some in pretty deep shade and it does well and fruits like crazy...

froggy

• mollyjenning
    18 years ago

I would just mention that, in my area anyway, the deer absolutely love this plant. If you don't have deer, you will love the way this beautiful plant lights up a dark area.

• arcy_gw
    18 years ago

I have mine in among ferns and hosta. It does well even after the oaks leaf out and no direct sun gets to them.

• fernzilla
    16 years ago

Hi:
    I have a variegated variety and it is about 6 years old. It is planted on South end of the house under a huge Pin Oak, and is next to a 6 foot wooden fence. It has gotten a couple of new stems each year. When the tree has leafed out it gets alot of shade. I noticed when I removed the fallen oak leaves,which I leave all Winter as mulch, it had put up already. It is about 5 or 6 inches tall right now.

• arcy_gw
    16 years ago

I have mine in among my hosta,astilbe, bleeding hearts etc.All grow under a grove of old growth burr oak. They are happy and multiplying. I would not call my shade dense.

• cynandjon
    15 years ago

I have varigated and it only gets morning sun. Its doing very well.I use deer out. We have a huge deer pouplation and I dont have a problem.

• myrtle_59
    15 years ago

I also have it under Norway spruce and it does great even in dry shade. The varigated does well too, but it seems to lose some of the varigation and it spreads which it readily does.

• suzq_fgp
    15 years ago

We've got varigated Solomon's Seal in north facing full shade. It does just fine interplanted amongst astilbes and heuchura. The deer don't seem to bother it. One strategy we've used is to ring our front garden with a nice thick barrier of plants the deer don't like: stachys (lambs ears), rue, lavender, lungwort and heleborus.