Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agkistrodon

Need some advice for rocky ground.

agkistrodon
10 years ago

I'm in a rocky area of the Appalachians (VA). Land in front of house is undisturbed woodland. The ground was solid rock and was blasted to build the house. The previous owners cut all large trees in the back and it looks as if they covered the 2 acres w/dirt covering all or most of the blasted chunks of rock. They then tossed a ton of hay over it and it was quickly overrun by wineberry, thistle and assortment of noxious weeds. Every now and then I come across a bloodroot or mayapple out in the blazing sun and there's rue everywhere. Everywhere I dig to plant something there's rock under the soil. So my plan is to re-introduce bushes (same species of bushes that are naturally growing in the front) and to dig up as much of the rock as I can and lay it on top as I was hoping the rocks would cut down the space available for weeds and hay, which has sprouted. Has anyone else had a similar experience? My question is: Will digging the rocks up and placing them on top really cut the weeds down OR will it just make things more difficult if the weeds start rooting under the rock? Any input would be appreciated. Also, do you know of any native (non-invasive) groundcover or fern that doesn't mind blazing sun?

Thanks for reading!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH