Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
unidentified vine

Posted by sarahvignola (My Page) on
Tue, May 10, 05 at 13:29

I am so glad to have found this forum! I live in NC and after buying a house last year, I spent most of last season gardening in the front yard since my back yard is mostly trees. I decided I wanted to start a woodland garden and started cleaning up the back this past weekend. I was amazed to find that almost all of the trees were wrapped up in a green, thorny vine. Once I started snipping and pulling the vines I realized that they went all the way up most of the trees and that is why some of the smaller ones were bent. While I have learned a lot about flowers and shrubs in short time gardening, I have no idea what this vine is or what I should do. I assume I need to continue cutting and unravelling the trees as best I can. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: unidentified vine

It is probably smilax which grows from a knotty corm in the ground. I had it and I cut mine to the ground and pulled it all out (the thorns actually hurt more when the vine is dead). It will likely resprout again, but you can deal with it easier.

There are several different varieties, some with large thorns and thick stems, others with thin stems and very tiny thorns. There is even one thornless variety that people buy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Smilax

o

Could also be wild cucumber vine - it slashed my forearms terribly last time I weeded it out of the garden.

Good luck.

~bushpoet

Here is a link that might be useful: wild cucumber vine

o

I too have an unidentified vine. Just built a new home on a heavily wooded lot which we want to remain natural. Had a small area cleared and it is being over run by a vine with a leaf that has an elongated center and variagated in color, some green and white, some rust and white, and sharp thorns. It is all over the woods and makes walking there difficult. It is hard to pull up. Any idea what is is and how to keep it our of our cleared area??? Any and all advice will be welcomed! Thank you

o

Have you looked up "smilax"? It is very common in the southeast and is quite thorny.

Cut it off at the ground, pull it out of the trees and discard it. Wear suede or rose gloves when doing this. You can dab the cut tip with a brush killer (Brush be Gone) or you can try to dig it out of the ground (difficult). My approach was to cut and then cut any new sprouts the next spring until hopefully the plant runs out of energy.

o

I am having the same experience as "esh ga" with smilax (or briars) in my yard. I have three different species. I largely ignore the spineless type and only kill the spiny ones in the main garden area. In the woods, deer browse the new growth, birds eat the fruit and the tangles of stems must afford some shelter for birds and other critters. Digging out the heavy tubers is the best way to get rid of a plant. I leave the tubers in the sun for a week to kill them before putting them on the compost pile. Unfortunately, they often grow in a place where digging isn't possible. Brush B Gone works well. Cutting the shoots back regularly kills them, too. Where I have been diligent, small plants died in a year or two. The largest plants and those that I don't watch as closely are still resprouting after two years but are much weaker.

o

Dipladenia, Mandevilla sanderi, this one has thorns on the stem., plant that vines

Look up this plant and see if this is it.

o

Same b!tchy vine here as esh ga & seronoa
Chopping clipping digging out evil dreaded privet
if it shades my gardens or orchard
I find these thorns readily when I forget gloves
attempting an organic approach I clip/dig them out
they come back lanky if not well established
then so thin one may miss them after the 2nd removal
they're not the badass skin ripping vine after that!
which I found surprising

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here