Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant ID, honeysuckle???

Posted by eddiebird z6 KCMO (My Page) on
Fri, May 6, 11 at 13:32

This plant is growing all over my acreage and I mean all over. It's very pretty but I have never seen it bloom and I have never seen a bug eat it which makes me believe this is probably the dreaded honeysuckle from overseas. I'm trying to keep my acreage as native as I can. If this is something native to the eastern Kansas area, that will make me feel so much better because like I said, this stuff is everywhere! By the creek, in the woods....everywhere.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51503848@N00/5693356871/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51503848@N00/5693925934/in/photostream/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant ID, honeysuckle???

Yes, looks like one of the non-native shrub honeysuckles like Lonicera maackii or Lonicera morrowii. Cut and treat the stump with brush killer.

Nice dog.

o

We have it all over our 33 acres. :( Its unbelievable persistent. Its hard to believe that the original owner of our property bought it from the DNR in the 70's. Dang. Our property would be gorgeous if he just hadn't planted that horrid stuff.

o

Dang. I just had a feeling.....I know what my summer project (and every summer forever) will be. "Thanks" for confirming my suspicions, guys. And Esh-thanks for providing the Latin names.

(Irony of irony, the pop-ad ad for this forum is "buy honeysuckle on-line!" Errrrgh.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here