Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bomber_gw

Can you help me name these woodland plants/weeds?

bomber
18 years ago

I also posted this to the Weeds forum but some of these are woodland plants and are certainly keepers.

Here is a link to my Ofotos album.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingSignin.jsp?Uc=13n5iz03.bzd8dbar&Uy=t1rgnc&Upost_signin=BrowsePhotos.jsp%3FshowSlide%3Dtrue&Ux=0

I know that picture #4 and #27 are Jack in the Pulpit. There are many. They are keepers.

I think that #13 is a Trillium. I have a few.

#16 is a young Shagbark Hickory.

I think #10 and 14 are possibly Solomon's Seal.

#9 and 12 look like some kind of Viburnum.

The property is old. It was pasture land in the early/mid 1800s to early 1900, at least.

Can you help me name the rest and correct me if I'm wrong on what I've named so far? Many thanks!

Comments (11)

• kimka
    18 years ago

#33 is wild violets probably odorata freckles or confederate--hard to tell what the true color is of the flowers. They can be really invasive and hard to erradicate once they get a good hold. But they are strong ground covers that can crod everything out.

• bushpoet
    18 years ago

#33 is definitely a violet, looks like the white-flowering one common in our local riverbank woodlands.

#1 is definitely bitter dock - bitter, annoying, invasive weed
    #3 is definitely garlic mustard - tasty (garlicky), annoying, very invasive alien weed

The rest I'm not sure about (sorry):

#4 & #28 could be eastern skunk cabbage (native) - likes wet sites
    #8 might be ramps ('wild garlic' bulb - yum)
    #13 & #21 resemble trilliums to me
    #14 could be solomon (#4 could be false solomon seal?)
    #17 could be dutchman's breeches (spring wildflower) or cutleaf toothwort (spring wildflower)
    #18 could be jewelweed?
    #19 could be toothwort?
    #22 could be pippissewa?
    #31 could be wild cucumber vine - non-fruiting, very invasive, sharp vines

Flipping through Peterson's Field Guide to Wild/Medicinal Plants of the Northeast might ID a bunch more.

HTH,
    ~bushpoet

• Judy_B_ON
    18 years ago

#1 - burdock (weed)?
    #2 - goldenrod or aster
    #3 - garlic mustard -- bad weed take it out NOW!!!
    #4, 15, 27 - jack in the pulpit
    #6 - Choke cherry? or buckthorn (weed)?
    #7 - Honeysuckle (might be weed or might be native)
    #8 - Mayflower or false solomon seal seedling
    #9 - Blue Beech or Ironwood
    10, 14 - false solomon seal
    #13, 21 - trillium
    #17 - avens (Geum)
    #19, 22 -Sensitive Fern
    #24 - bulblet fern
    #25 - columbine or meadow rue
    #29 - Queen anne's Lace (weed)
    #31 - something in the squash family, garden escape like zucchini or wild cucumber vine
    #33 - violets

You have lovely woods, buy a copy of Newcombs Field Guide to Eastern Wildflowers to make your pictures and walks more interesting. It has an easy to use key and includes shrubs and vines as well as flowers.

• Elaine_NJ6
    18 years ago

#11 is grey dogwood--the most gorgeous plant in the world, my favorite and a bird magnet
    #12, if it's a viburnum, is arrowwood, also a bird magnet

#6 is some kind of cherry (Prunus sp.)

• bomber
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here is what I think I have identified from all contributions so far:

1. Bitter dock
    2. Sharp leaved Aster (whorled wood aster)
    3. Garlic Mustard - take it away
    4. Jack in the Pulpit (we have many, many!)
    5. Hayscented fern
    6. Buckthorn (not sure it is a choke cherry)
    7. Honeysuckle
    8. Mayflower (Canada)
    9. Arrow wood Viburnum

1. False Solomon Seal
    2. Gray Dogwood
    3. Arrow wood Viburnum (same as #9 but still very low to ground)
    4. Trillium
    5. False Solomon Seal
    6. Trillium or Jack in the Pulpit
    7. Shagbark Hickory sapling
    8. Suggestions - Angelica, Avens, Toothwort, Dutchmans Breeches - doesn't really look like any of those
    9. Possibilities - Gold thread (? three leaves and this is four) or Partridge Berry or Wintergreen or Pyrola - plant is very, very low to the ground
    10. Sensitive Fern
    11. The picture is of a fern unfolding. Hard to see. I'll wait to see what it becomes.
    12. Trillium or oak seedlings
    13. Another type of Fern
    14. Another Fern - I'll use the Fern website that was provided.
    15. Bulbet Fern
    16. Columbine or Meadow Rue
    17. ??
    18. Jack in the Pulpit
    19. Skunk cabbage??
    20. Queen Anne's lace
    21. ??
    22. Squash or pumpkin or watermelon(makes sense since the deer ate all the watermelon plants I had outside the fence)
    23. Hnoeysuckle or Fetterbush?
    24. Violets
  • kevin_5
    18 years ago

14 is true Solomons Seal(dangling flowers)
    18 those are impatiens--wait to see if they are orange or yellow to get the species right
    25--sure that isn't a seedling multiflora rose?

• bomber
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here is an update:

#10 and 14 appear to be real Solomon Seal with the flowers on the underside
    #17 - need to give it more time to determine what it is but likely Geum/Avers.
    #21 - went through the woods again. No doubt this is Trillium. Lots of it too. The leaf patterns for the Trillium and Jack in the Pulpit are very similar. The difference appears to be a vein that runs around the perimeter of the Jack.
    #25 - very possibly a wild rose
    #26 - I agree this is a hawkweed of some sort. I'll know better once it blooms.

• Elaine_NJ6
    18 years ago

#25 is multiflora rose--a dreadfully invasive plant. Get rid of it! At that small stage, simply removing all the foliage repeatedly will take care of it. But there's sure to be more.

• Trilliophile
    18 years ago

#28 is most certainly skunk cabbage.
    #13 is Trillium flexipies
    t

• knottyceltic
    18 years ago

Very nice photos :o)

I'm not good at identification with no books for reference but yes, #3 Garlic Mustard HAS TO GO... it is an EXTREMELY prolific alien invasive weed very difficult to control once it gets a foothold. This time of year it is easy to see from it's upright growth and flowers atop. Pull them from the lowest point possible. There is a "nub" at the base of the stem and if you get your fingers just below that nub the whole plant will come out roots and all. These things sew zillions of seeds so it's best to get them out now before the flowers go to seed.

#4 & #27 are Jacks. Young jacks DO look like trilliums. #15 looks like very young jacks.

#9 & #12 do look like Arrowood viburnum to me as well.

#10 looked like false solomon's seal to me (thought I saw a flower bud at the distal end of the stalk. Did they flower underneath?

#11 looks like a "cornus" (dogwood) species

14 is definitely real sololmon's seal by the flowers falling under the stalk.

#19 and #22 both appear to be Sensitive Fern
    #26 Looks like plants I have in my window "Hawkweed". Mine are orange but there is also yellow. I like these very much but they aren't native here. I have them planted in the window boxes of my shed, in window planters on my house and in my front garden.

#33. Wild violets as everyone else has said.

Good luck with your identifications :o)

Barb

• aka_peggy
    18 years ago

Concerning the garlic mustard...don't let it go to seed or you'll have 1000's of plants next year. Dispose of the flower head. Better learn to recognize in it's juvenile and adult stage and pull it.

I agree that #25 is multiflora rose. Nasty weed!!

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County