Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indian Pink & Crimson Honeysuckle

Posted by OutsidePlaying 7/No. Ala (My Page) on
Mon, May 23, 05 at 16:15

Is Indian Pink invasive? Also, I read that it doesn't transplant well. Does anyone have any experience with it or with the crimson honeysuckle? I have found both in the woods on our property and wondered if I could transplant to another location where they could be seen.
Thanks.
Elaine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indian Pink & Crimson Honeysuckle

spigelia marilandica should be considered a woodland treasure. i could not see where it would ever be considered invasive. i understand the clumps are rather slow to expand in the garden. don't know about transplanting since i ordered mine from a nursery and planted in late winter.
if i were transplanting, i would attempt to get as large a soil mass as possible to avoid disturbing the roots and keep it watered well this first growing season.
i also grow lonicer sempervirens (native red honeysuckle) and have yet to find one popping up in the surrounding area. this is a much better plant to cultivate than its asian cousins - now, they are invasive!

o
RE: Indian Pink & Crimson Honeysuckle

Thanks Jeff. There is a fair amount of it, and I'd like to get some of it closer to the house to attract hummers. I may try to transplant a clump. I've also seen both growing close together in a wooded area where I jog. It's next to a trail a neighbor cleared for access to a man-made lake. I didn't realize the "pinks" were considered a treasure. And we do have plenty of it's asian cousin! But I love the smell this time of year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here