Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you identify?

Posted by mizellie z7 Al (My Page) on
Wed, May 27, 09 at 16:21

Hi folks, I am a newbie to this forum and spend most of my time on the Daylily forum. I have a tree/bush that I can't identify and thought some of you nice folks might be able to help. I bought it at a native nursery in Guntersville, Al. The owner has since passed away and they are out of business so no help there. The blooms on the bush are about 3 to 3 1/2 " across and it stays in a cup style bloom. The flowers look very similar to a passion flower but have a thicker texture. I think the blossoms would be bigger if they lay flat. I have had it for several years but last year was the first time it has bloomed. It had hundreds of blooms but this year they are more sparce. Still a lot of blooms though. It's about 7 feet tall now.. I appreciate any help you can give...BTW, the damage is caused from the abundance of rain we have had! Thanks...Ellie

Unknown Shrub

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you identify?

Could it be a native stewartia? The data base shows it as being native to your area. I would love to have one! I have bought a few small ones, but I have lost them to the cold, I guess.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stewartia

o
RE: Can you identify?

ncrescue, that sure looks like the one I have. I will have to do more research on it but I truly thank you for your help. You said you had some small one die. Where did you get them? I am in North East Alabama but have never seen this shrub/tree but once and that's the one I have...Thanks again..Ellie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here