Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gomanson

Is this a native plant, or an invading weed?

gomanson
15 years ago

Here's a shot of some ground cover in the woods on my property. I live in St. Michael, MN, about 45 minutes northwest of Minnespolis.

{{gwi:1353818}}
I've been reading about garlic mustard invasions on several different forums here, and I never looked up what it looked like until yesterday. I recognized it! I just noted some this spring because I hadn't seen it in previous years. We just got rain last night, so this morning I was out uprooting all of it I could find. I had a couple fairly large stands of it on the edge of the woods. It was choking out Maple and Ash seedlings and native ground cover. From what I hear, it can very quickly choke out a whole area, so I was careful to get all of it on my property and now I have a really good radar for it. I'll probably have nightmares about it tonight :)

So anyway, now I'm paranoid about exotic species of weeds coming in and killing my forest. I see a lot of this stuff around this year:

{{gwi:1353819}}
Is this stuff native or is it also an invading exotic? The only reason (other than my new paranoia) for suspecting it is because it seems more prevalent this year than previous years.

And as long as it got in the picture, can anyone ID this fern?

{{gwi:605328}}

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County