Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Woodland lot and Poison Ivy

Posted by jgarzasr z6 MI (My Page) on
Mon, May 1, 06 at 16:41

I purchased a 5acre woodland lot that is covered with poison ivy. I would like to remove as much as possilbe or all, but probably impossible. Does anyone have a good way to tackle this w/o killing other plants around it. I have a lot of wild ferns, berries, and natives. Or do I have to round up everything and start from scratch? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Woodland lot and Poison Ivy

Brush or swab roundup on the leaves. It may take more than one season.

o

Please consult a knowledgable ecologist before attempting such a destructive "solution".I've been able to control poison ivy by merely cutting off all upright vines,thereby restricting its growth to ground level where its is eventually shaded out by other perennials.Its always good to get acquainted with the ecology of your new property before attempting to"fix things up"as I haved regretted many of the improvements I did in the past to my woodlands.If you are not extreamly sensitive to it leave some for the birds,they eat the berries.It"s not unattractive and can have beautiful autumn color.

o

However, be aware that following nywoodsman's advice will lead to a lot more poison ivy. While birds love the berries, they will poop seeds all over the place - it is the main dispersal mechanism for the plant.

o

I have had success with Roundup, but you do have to watch what else you spray it on. I would spray (and/or paint) the ivy that is growing up the trees; the Roundup will be absorbed and go to the roots. A few weeks later, I would start cutting the stems of that that tree hugging ivy near the base of the tree. When the roots send up new sprouts (and it will), give it a light shot of Roundup. Too heavy a dose will kill the leaves before the Roundup is absorbed. Continue sprayng every few weeks. Waplummer is correct; it will take a few years to really make a big dent in the poison ivy, but if you keep after it, there will be less and less every year. I am finally at the point where I only see a few plants every spring!

o

OOOHHH,the poison ivy going to get us.Why not spray the whole area with roundup and kill everything.Then well be safe.I heard black topping works real well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here