Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eatingthewitch

Plant ID Please

eatingthewitch
13 years ago

Hello,Im new at this forum.Can anyone identify this plant for me. I live in SW Pa. zone 6. It grows wild in a small patch on a steep wooded north facing slope above a small stream. and some now in my woodland garden but i have never seen it anyplace else and cant i find it in any wildflower book. it starts to bloom at the same time as the Bloodroot or Trilliums here.The more adult plants have whorled leaves around a single stalk.(kind of like Whorled Loosestrife. but its not that. it also looks like a Whorled Pogonia leaf and wondered if it might be that.) but also has some alternate leaves. it has grown to be 18 inches but never blooms and then withers away like some of the other woodland plants i have by June or so. It grows from a small tuber and the plants usually withers away a week after transplanting but has come back the following years and grown bigger.

Im trying to copy and past a picture but im not sure if that works, if someone can explain how to send a picture i will do that if this doesnt work.

/home/dole/Documents/DSC00119.JPG

Thanks, Marko

Comments (8)

• on_greenthumb
    13 years ago

You need to post the pic to an online photo sharing service and add it as an HTML tag

• eatingthewitch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ok ill try posting another picture, thanks, hope this works

Here is a link that might be useful: dsc000137

• Lynda Waldrep
    13 years ago

Looks like some type of lily. ( I am not good with ID's from photos!) They don't bloom if they don't get sun. In the mts. of NC I have seen lots grow and then wither away as you described above. True lily bulbs are really a cluster of scales rather than a rhizome, so it could be something else that needs sun to bloom.

• eatingthewitch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I thought it looked like a Lily too but where iv found it in the wild it is under some very large oaks so there hasnt been sun there in a long time. But the ones there only get 3 or 4 leaves total and stay small most only have one leaf like a trout lily, I was surprised of how much taller they got in my garden that protects them from the deer or what ever is keeping them smaller there. But it still took a few years to get to 12 inches,just getting another leaf or 2 each year. ill try to put some in the sun but they will surly die soon after and wont know till next year.They seem very fragile and they must send out shoots from the rhizome as well as it seems i have a few more without flowering. and the rhizome is very small, white and round if i remember correctly. The same few have been in my woodland garden for about 15 years.

im not sure how many pictures you can see, i posted 3 if you go to that link. If anyone else can identify the plant for certain i would sure appreciate it.

Marko

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

You may wish to post your ID request to the Name that Plant forum as well. Lots of knowledgeable folks there.

FataMorgana

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

Sure looks like a lily to me. The underground structure would be white, tear drop shaped and pieces of it may flake off if handled (and then those pieces will grow into small, single-leaf plants initially).

All that you describe fits that id; they are not getting enough sun to bloom, however.

• lila888
    13 years ago

Please post your plant pics at the Lily forum. I might be wrong, but they look like lilium species native to the US.

• eatingthewitch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone..i guess it is a Lily but i will post in the Name that plant forum or lily forum to see what they think there to be sure.

Marko

Sponsored