Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for a native groundcover for low-lying area

Posted by misterpatrick 4 (My Page) on
Sat, May 25, 13 at 17:15

Hello all,

I have a small woods full of great natives. The woods and the yards all drains to a low spot under a silver maple, a very large spruce and a couple of dogwoods. During the spring melt and after heavy rains this is a very wet area which will have standing water for several days. It's very muddy and the only thing taking hold is the creeping charlie. The trout lilies are coming up to the edge of the area and there are plenty of ostrich ferns just upland from it. I just moved a couple of small clumps or wild ginger and wintergreen but was looking for suggestions on a ground cover that I could put down there to out compete the charlie.

I don't want to do shrubs or anything as I need to keep the ground low as it drains out of this area and any root heaving that might occur could damage the area.

So any thoughts on what could stand the standing water for a bit? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for a native groundcover for low-lying area

How about Northern Bog Violet?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here