Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_flynn

Under Pines to Compliment Hostas - Zone 5b

Pines Everywhere
11 years ago

Hi everyone. New to forum but have been researching for months and ya 'all have been very helpful with my look-ups as time-n-time again Google brings me to this Woodlands Forum!!

I have 2.5 acres of mostly Pines (White, Blue Spruce and Cedar). Property was vacant but now we've trimmed everything up and have "halos" under most of our pines. I planted 100 Hosta around select trees but would like to compliment the others with some surround to close-up the halos/aprons. Open to suggestions --

I have some Jack-in-the-Pulpit along the house that I could move and I'm also considering Goats Beard for the low lying pines. Any help would be appreciated. Soft and leafy would be good or anything airy as a space filler. Only a handful of Pines are low-lying, the majority are on flat ground, sandy/clay base with rich top soil but still mostly in the shade due to heavy canopy. Thanks in advance if you can help.

Comments (4)

• jimbobfeeny
    11 years ago

Growing a woodland garden under pines does present certain difficulties - For one thing, the shade is constant year round. Also, the roots tend to be close to the surface, sucking up a lot of water. Jack-in-the-pulpit probably wouldn't do well under the pines, as they need the early spring sunlight to do well. You could try things that grow naturally in pine forests, such as wintergreen, mountain laurel, and partridgeberry. If you are looking for plants that will be lush and green, you may have to water alot, depending on your rainfall.

Just rambling, a few ideas anyways.

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jimbob, thanks so much for the suggestions and I've already researched them due to your post. The Wintergreen looks great but it reads as if it could become invasive -- this scares me as I do NOT want it growing into the Lawn which we are reviving also. Advise as to how aggressive Wintergreen could be (if you are inclined).

Partridge Berry - Nice pick -- I will try this.

Mountain Laurel -- This looks like a "shrub", would I have to plant a few around a pine trunk to get it to fill in like a surround?

• Lynda Waldrep
    11 years ago

I have sections that were formerly all pine woods but now have some hardwoods as storms take out pines over the years. There are many natives that do well in your conditions. One that is "leafy" is black cohosh, actea racemosa,and there is a native astilbe, or you could use the non-native one.

As for non-natives, autumn fern has done very well for me under pines as have hellebores, but you need to purchase the sterile ones as the ones I bought years ago seed out too much.

Some other suggestions are all small but nice plants, too. I have to say my Jacks do well under pines provided you have "limbed up" and they can get some light. Non-native azaleas have done the best for me in the shrub category. They really like the acidic base formed by the pine needles. Here the Kalmia and Rhodies struggle in the summer heat.

You have so much to pick from. Have fun!

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ncrescue --

Thanks for the additional ideas. Sorry for the late response but I have been planting!!! Based on your post, I moved some of the Jack-in-the-Pulpit and they took nicely. I am closely watching the other thread where someone has an invasion of them (yikes).

I love the look of Astilbe but have never grown them -- this is the year I will try them and have the perfect spot once the JITP is completely relocated. Thanks for the black cohosh, actea racemosa suggestion as they'll do super in the "back forty"!!

The above is my next up tackle list and I'll plan on incorporating some of the others too. Thanks so much !!!

Maybe I should take before and after photos for my helpers to view how their great suggestions transformed my Pines Everywhere. LOL.

Thanks again and happy gardening. :)