Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
solomon seal question

Posted by Ryanmor (My Page) on
Tue, May 31, 05 at 19:38

Hello,
I just recently purchased a clump of varigated solomons seal. I put it out in the front garden of my house which currently recieves direct light till about one then full shade for the rest of the day. are these conditions fine for my new plant?

Thanks
Ryan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: solomon seal question

My neighbor's solomon's seal is in direct sun all day and is HUGE. I was surprised b/c I'd never seen it in the sun before. I've seen False Solomon's Seal in the sun in the field across from my house but never the true Solomon's Seal. I would be inclined to water it A LOT until it hardens up though if you are thinking of moving a mature plant into the sun. Otherwise I would move them in the fall and let them harden naturally.

Barb
Southern Ontario, CANADA Zone 6a

o

There are lots of factors to consider. In nature, the sun-shade question is not as cut-and-dried as it is in our gardens. When I've seen Solomon's seal in nature, they've been in fairly wet areas with high, open shade. In general, any plant will grow bigger in full sun--as long as it always has ample water. But that means a lot of supplemental watering, which frankly is wasteful. So you weigh a variety of factors and make a decision. After all, you can always move it.

I was eyeing some Solomon's seal at a garden center recently, and the spot I had in mind gets maybe an hour a day of direct sun, some dappled sun, and mostly shade. Ferns, native pachysandra, and hostas are very happy there. I was going to dig up a big hosta (part of my program for eliminating non-natives) and put in the Solonon's seal, but I haven't gotten around to it and now it seems like it's too late to plant anything more this year.

o

Elaine...it's not too late to plant...I plant all through the summer..it's just more labor intensive because when it gets hot, you have to make sure your new plantings stay amply watered.

o

If you've had a spring like we have had here in northwest Ohio, it's been fairly dry and cool, so we're still planting. We had a hard freeze the second week of May!

o

Yep, dry and cool here, too. Ideal for planting, almost. Cool and damp would be better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here