Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spmimi

anyone in zone 6 have aquilegia canandensis (native) up yet?

spmimi
17 years ago

everything in my 1 year old garden is coming up as expected; however i haven't seen a peep out of my native columbine. anyone in zone 6 with native columbines? what's your status?? i'm afraid i may have lost mine but maybe (hopefully) I'm just being impatient!

Comments (13)

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    17 years ago

I'm in zone 5: a few of mine are up.

• catherinet
    17 years ago

I'm in zone 5 and mine are up......but I have always had a really hard time growing those. You'd think they'd feel right at home here, but they don't for some reason. Maybe I just haven't found their favorite spot yet.

• spmimi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hmm, i have a plant that are showing leaves very similar to columbine, but slightly smaller and bushier. and i also don't remember planting it there!! i guess i will have to see what blooms and maybe i'll have a happy, if not perplexing, surprise! thanks.

• autumnmoon
    17 years ago

up and in full bloom here in zone 6b...
    all my columbines are up and have been in bloom for about two weeks (i dead head!)

Paula

• kayjones
    17 years ago

Ditto what Paula said in my yard.

• spmimi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

wahh!! i'm glad to hear that you are all columbine-happy, but it kind of confirms my fear that my native beauties i planted last year and mia :(

• catherinet
    17 years ago

I think I planted them about 3 times, before the last one survived. But it's not flourishing. At the local nursery, they always had beautiful healthy ones growing, and I just couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.
    Don't give up though. Do you find that they are hard to find? I haven't seen the native ones around anywhere. You'd think they'd be popular.

• waplummer
    17 years ago

I have two up and in bloom in zone 5

• ladyslppr
    17 years ago

The wild ones are in full bloom here in central PA zone 5 / 6. The ones in my garden have been putting up flower stalks for a few weeks but the stalks keep being eaten.

• kwoods
    17 years ago

They are up and flowering here too. These establish much better from seed for me. Then they reseed like crazy so even when my large established ones die out (short lived) they keep popping up in interesting places. If yours flowered last season you might keep an eye out for seedlings. Try 'em from seed and see what happens.

• knottyceltic
    17 years ago

I'm right on the edge of 5b/6a and the wild columbine is doing quite well. Each plant is about 8-10" x 6-8".

Barb

• axeman
    17 years ago

Some of mine have been in bloom for about a week or two. They've been reseeding nicely, and I've moved a couple of clumps.

With any luck you'll have some sprouts somewhere around, so keep an eye out for them. I also thought I had lost a few plants, which I did, but they had reseeded in a nearby area.

• brenda_near_eno
    17 years ago

They are not long-lived, so you have to let them seed themselves around a bit. I just harvested seed, if you'd like some.

Sponsored