Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone in zone 6 have aquilegia canandensis (native) up yet?

Posted by spmimi z6 (brooklyn) (My Page) on
Sat, May 6, 06 at 20:08

everything in my 1 year old garden is coming up as expected; however i haven't seen a peep out of my native columbine. anyone in zone 6 with native columbines? what's your status?? i'm afraid i may have lost mine but maybe (hopefully) I'm just being impatient!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone in zone 6 have aquilegia canandensis (native) up yet?

I'm in zone 5: a few of mine are up.

o

I'm in zone 5 and mine are up......but I have always had a really hard time growing those. You'd think they'd feel right at home here, but they don't for some reason. Maybe I just haven't found their favorite spot yet.

o

• Posted by spmimi z6 (brooklyn) (My Page) on
    Sat, May 6, 06 at 22:45

hmm, i have a plant that are showing leaves very similar to columbine, but slightly smaller and bushier. and i also don't remember planting it there!! i guess i will have to see what blooms and maybe i'll have a happy, if not perplexing, surprise! thanks.

o

up and in full bloom here in zone 6b...
all my columbines are up and have been in bloom for about two weeks (i dead head!)

Paula

o

Ditto what Paula said in my yard.

o

• Posted by spmimi z6 (brooklyn) (My Page) on
    Sun, May 7, 06 at 12:12

wahh!! i'm glad to hear that you are all columbine-happy, but it kind of confirms my fear that my native beauties i planted last year and mia :(

o

I think I planted them about 3 times, before the last one survived. But it's not flourishing. At the local nursery, they always had beautiful healthy ones growing, and I just couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.
Don't give up though. Do you find that they are hard to find? I haven't seen the native ones around anywhere. You'd think they'd be popular.

o

I have two up and in bloom in zone 5

o

The wild ones are in full bloom here in central PA zone 5 / 6. The ones in my garden have been putting up flower stalks for a few weeks but the stalks keep being eaten.

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Mon, May 8, 06 at 15:36

They are up and flowering here too. These establish much better from seed for me. Then they reseed like crazy so even when my large established ones die out (short lived) they keep popping up in interesting places. If yours flowered last season you might keep an eye out for seedlings. Try 'em from seed and see what happens.

o

I'm right on the edge of 5b/6a and the wild columbine is doing quite well. Each plant is about 8-10" x 6-8".

Barb

o

Some of mine have been in bloom for about a week or two. They've been reseeding nicely, and I've moved a couple of clumps.

With any luck you'll have some sprouts somewhere around, so keep an eye out for them. I also thought I had lost a few plants, which I did, but they had reseeded in a nearby area.

o

They are not long-lived, so you have to let them seed themselves around a bit. I just harvested seed, if you'd like some.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here