Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
like jack-in-the-pulpit suggestions?

Posted by robbiezone5 z5 HudsonValley (mygoodtwin2002@yahoo.com) on
Thu, May 25, 06 at 20:44

a friend of our's who gardens here in the city gave us some jack-in-the-pulpits last year. we planted them in our garden upstate, and they are blooming now! they look fantastic! i'm wondering if there are other plants that look similar to jack-in-the-pulpits? interesting woodland-type plants? what are some of your suggestions that would do well in zone 5?

thanks!
--robbie--

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: like jack-in-the-pulpit suggestions?

i LOVE jack in the pulpits! i have mine in a woodlands garden with ferns and jacobs ladder plants. I also have trillium, bleeding heart and lily-of-the-valley. love the combo. watch out for lily of the valley. they smell great and are beautiful but, they spread fast and make a hard-to-dig-out mat of roots. jack-in-the-pulpit also spread fast (or, at least prolifically) but, they are easy to control and, as you've found, everyone appreciates it when you share. have fun!

o

I'd avoid the Lily of the Valley, LOL! I love my jacks. There is a native plant that's related to jacks (I think)called green wizard. I don't have the binomial, I'm sorry, but if you googled green wizard...you'd come up with some pictures and sources of a very unique looking plant!

o

I'm sorry...the common name is green dragon.

o
Here's the binomial....

Arisaema dracontium

o

Mayapples.

o

thanks for the tips! we have our jack-in-the-pulpits planted with mayapples. the only thing is that the mayapples kind of cover the jack-in-the-pulpits, but if they spread, hopefully this will work out fine. and thanks for the tip on the green dragon! that does look great!!!!

thanks so much!!!
--robbie--

o

The mayapples will spread...but they are easily dug up and shared with friends! The green dragons are really cool looking plants. I find that soloman's seal and bloodroot are kind of aggressive in my garden. The Jacks seem to behave themselves.

o

Things that doo well for me in those Jack-in-the-pulpit areas include trillium, foamflower, starflower, toothwort and wild geranium. And, of course, just about any variety of fern. I've transplanted some Jacks along with trillium and Christmas fern (an evergreen) and it makes for some attractive and very natural groupings. Sprinkle some starflower in to fill the spaces ...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here