Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
unwanted seedlings in woodland garden

Posted by ckwp PA (My Page) on
Tue, May 23, 06 at 21:01

I have a woodland garden but the trees are locust and every spring they make millions upon millions of dime sized papery seeds which look lovely in the wind but blow into every bed on the property where they sprout...would a pre-emersion herbicide work or should I just keep turning the mulch to keep them from getting started?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: unwanted seedlings in woodland garden

I don't know how effective a pre-emergent would work on tree seeds (or how much you'd have to use). I have the same issue with red maples and seedlings come up everywhere. Sweet gum too! Next year you could try pre-emergent in one area and see if it is better. As long as you have things in there that you want to come up from seed!

o
RE: unwanted seedlings in woodland garden

Keep turning that mulch and pulling those seedlings. And consider getting rid of your locust. I'm in mid-whirlygig season right now..and every day I think of getting rid of the big maple in my back yard. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here