Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie needs help with mountian yard!

Posted by twotahoedogs Cali (My Page) on
Fri, May 26, 06 at 22:10

OK, I'm new to gardening and a bit intimidated with the empty slab of dirt in the front yard. We rototilled today and now we are just staring out at mounds of dirt. This is our first house and there was nothing growing in the front or the back.

I live in Lake Tahoe and I would like to keep a very natural front yard with little or no grass...boulders, trees, ect. But what else can I use for ground coverage??? Where should I start? The yard is not that big at all....but I just feel lost when I look at it!!!! Any resourses, ideas, or pictures would be a HUGE help.

Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie needs help with mountian yard!

Your local conservation authority is a good place to start - go to the library and get some books on the local trees shrubs and wildflowers. good luck

jeff

o

The absolutely best advice I can give you is

TAKE YOUR TIME!

There are many considerations that you will need to address:
here are some off the top of my balding head!
1. What is the style of house you have purchased.
2. What is the square footage of the lot with the house on it and what is the square footage of the house.
3. Are you part of a new neighborhood with all the houses
in the same boat?
If not what are the landscaping features of the neighboring houses.
4. What are your personal preferences as to landscaping style: rustic, rocky, bare-bones, low maintenance, indoor outdoor carpeting, gravel, cement, naturalistic, patio gardens, etc. This forum has several different sections: check them out for any possible images as to styles presented.
5. What is the dollar limit you really want to put into your garden/yard. $100, $1000, $2000, ?????
No matter what you may prefer in the style of a garden setting for your home the bottom line will the the limiting factor as to what options you can make. It just requires being able to work within your limitations and use a creative approach to resolving some rather basic issues such as type of ground cover, etc.

So before you get started and are still lacking in ideas.
Take a cruise around the area and see what is being done.

o

good advice from terrestrial man except I wouldn't worry about what the neighbors have. I'd look to plants native to your area, becaus after their first year, they won't require a ton of maintenance. JMO.

o

Why does everyone start with rototilling and then ask for help? My first advice would be don't rototill... but oops - thats okay ...

Here are some links for you:

http://www.epa.gov/greenacres/wildones/wo_2004b.pdf

http://calag.ucop.edu/0602AMJ/pdfs/2_HabitatFragmentation.pdf

http://www.cnps.org/chapters/chapters_text_only.htm

http://heritage.nv.gov/nnps.htm

o

Why go native??

Here is a link to a garden that was put in by a husband/wife team-he is a member of this forum too!
It has some great ideas and maybe you can pick up some
pointer??
A Japanese Garden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here