Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancy0903

border between woodland and grass

nancy0903
11 years ago

I have a 20 foot deep, 100 feet long border between the lawn and a woodland. I cleared the area of invasive vines, japanese honeysuckle etcand the area is now nearly vacant. There are large dogwood shrubs (gray or silky??) which cover maybe 20% of the area, a few elderberry .....I want to add some understory trees - was thinking of hawthorn, dogwood and am looking for suggestions for shrubs. I have bought a spicebush, northern bayberry and several witch hazel...Any other suggetsions? The outer edge of the area gets quite a bit of sun. I have some red sprite holly that I could move there if it would work. And a Dragon Lady Holly as well. And would you plant in drifts, groupings or randomly?

Comments (3)

• Iris GW
    11 years ago

I like sweetshrub if that is native to your area: Calycanthus floridus. Viburnums are good - Viburnum acerifolium is more shade tolerant than others. Native azaleas are good. Red sprite holly needs about 6 hours of sun - how sunny is the area? I like to group at least two of the same together; groups of 3 is the design standard, I guess.

• oliveoyl3
    11 years ago

Plant what you'd like in spots you can see from the house. Fill in the other areas as you acquire plants.

Drifts are random groups aren't they? That's how I plant. I try to balance evergreens with deciduous plants because I want year round interest out my windows.

With some dappled sun all day and direct sun mid day I've been able to mix it up and add some great blooming beauties for color.

July photos of a bed we planted last year in front of the chicken and duck coops. One side we kept the native plants and divided up the bed with a dry creek bed made of rocks we found in the soil. Wood chip paths were a great addition to the yard and I enjoy walking it to take care of the animals. You can't see everything in these photos, but it shows you how a woodland bed can be interesting.
    {{gwi:273832}}

We're working on our area between the woods & our back lawn after the January ice storm's damage.

I attend plant swaps and haven't purchased anything for filling it back in with shrubs and trees. I would suggest you find a swap in your area and learn how to propagate shrubs as many root very easily this time of year. We did some hardwood cuttings in January before the storm and I wasn't sure where they'd all go, but now I know.

I have been given evergreen huckleberry and variegated elderberry to plant that will give us edible fruits, plus an interesting screen with fall color.

• nancy0903
    Original Author
    11 years ago

beautiful photos. i have been propagating and trying to create the transition. it's coming along. thanks

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County