Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
candogal_gw

Help not disturbing the lady's slippers & other newbie questions

candogal
13 years ago

Having established perennial flowers in the small sunny part of my yard, I'm moving on to the shade and almost part-sun parts. One of the first areas I'd like to work on has some (3) lady's slipper plants. (I feel so lucky!) I'd like to minimize disturbance to them so they continue to be happy. But I don't really know much about them - I'm an utter novice to woodland gardening. How careful do I need to be around the lady's slippers? Can I add things near them, or do I need to give them a really wide berth?

There are a bunch of other prolific somethings near them that are spreading more & more yearly. This is in my front yard area - or what would be a front "yard" if we didn't live basically nestled in the woods. In back, I'd like to eventually put in all natives, because I wouldn't want any imported plants to get "loose" into the woods. But in front I'd like to groom the garden a little more. So I don't mind yanking out the somethings - but I feel a little guilty yanking things out when I don't know what they are, even if I don't like how they look. (Like some sort of prolific ground cover weeds.)

I guess my second question is about good resources for identifying wild woodland plants. How about gardening with woodland/native plants? Either books or websites would be great.

Thanks so much for the help. - Tricia

P.S. Is it possible to gather seeds from the lady's slippers? I'd love to grow some to add in back, or share with others. I'm decent at propagating from seed.

Comments (2)

Sponsored