Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hockeynut_08

Siberian Squill - need advice to get rid of it!

hockeynut-08
10 years ago

I have been fighting these pretty little blue flowers for awhile now - they started out innocently enough, but suddenly have invaded large areas of my yard. Since we have about a 10 acre woods, I am desperately trying to stop them from reaching there. I have fought (and won!) the battle of Snow on the Mountain, Garlic Mustard, and even Purple Loosestrife, but those were nothing compared to my pretty little blue flowers! I'm amazed that they are still being recommended and sold! True, there usually is a disclaimer that they "could" be invasive - that's an understatement! I started digging out the plants, but soon realized that they were already going to seed. Then I filled huge black plastic bags with the ripped off tops of the plants, including the flowers and seeds. Now I am going back and pulling out any remaining green shoots, going on the assumption that there won't be any nourishment for the bulbs for next year's plants. I read that Roundup doesn't affect them, so tried Poison Ivy Roundup in some areas. I don't know if it helped much - also, unfortunately, the Squill like to hide under the Trillium, daffodils, etc., so it is difficult to use. I don't like using ground fabric, but am going to have to try it in areas that are covered with low growing evergreens as the plants are completely hidden in there. I would love to hear from anyone that has had any luck with other methods! Please heed my warning - don't plant them!

Comments (4)

• ken_mce
    10 years ago

How large an area are you after, and does it have a lot of other plants that you value?

• woods_man
    10 years ago

I marvel at how different environments can transmutate a perfectly well behaved gem of a plant in one person's yard into a garden thug somewhere else. I have had Siberian squill for 20yrs peacefully coexisting with a multitude of other woodland plants. It does it's thing in early spring and leaves without fuss. So it is surprising to hear what a nightmare it can be elsewhere. My biggest woodland thugs are vines, euonymus, vinca, Virginia creeper, something I call 'grape vine', etc, etc. I realize my post offers no helpful suggestions ... all I can say is good luck with your squill & I'll keep doing battle with my vines.

• oliveoyl3
    10 years ago

Try an overlapping layer of cardboard instead of landscape fabric & top with wood chips as from a tree trimmer. That way no weed seeds. If no cardboard try thick layers of newspaper or scrap office paper. I compost staples & paper clips.

If I don't have many wood chips I use what compost or mulch ingredients available then topped with the wood chips for a uniform "frosting" layer. Used coffee grounds, straw, chicken manure plus bedding, shredded leaves, grass clippings, mown over cutting back of perennials, etc. If you're concerned about weed seeds just make sure you're not adding them. After 2 days on the lawn in the sun the nepeta & hardy geraniums I cut back were dry & shriveled. The mulching mower plowed right over them. I forgot to ask hubby to bag the lawn that week because I wanted the mulch. Only a few stubborn stems remained on the lawn to gather.

Grass clippings are my favorite because they dry so easily on a tarp or in the sun on a windy day. Easy to spread & feed the soil. Just make sure no weed & feed on the lawn 1st.

• Stevie Kenyon
    last year

Hello! It’s been 9 years since your post. How is the Scilla doing?! I have been removing flower heads to prevent seed and then going back through and removing bulbs one by one. Terribly painful process. Hope your woodland is Scilla free!

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994