Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lily of the valley

Posted by epw0946 b5 OH (My Page) on
Sun, May 21, 06 at 23:08

I have a number of lily of the valley plants that are surrounding some hostas. Is it safe to cut them back now that they are done blooming?? They do become real unsightly during the summer. I am trying to cover them up with the hostas, but they need to mature more. If I cut them back, will that affect their blooms next year??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lily of the valley

Don't cut them unless they are really becoming "unsightly". Anytime a perennial plant has green leaves, after it stops blooming, it will be storing food for next year. Chopping off old bloom stems so they don't seed will strengthen the plant for next year. This flower is aggresive at spreading and cutting it back shouldn't hurt it if its stopped blooming and gone to seed. There is a patch in my yard that's been there for years and years. It has been mowed off every week in the summer for the past 10 years. It still sprouts up and tries to bloom when I haven't mowed for a long time.

o

I have a lily of the valley patch, and through dumb luck, my ferns spread into the bed. They are very compatible and it works so beautifully.

THe tall feathery ferns sprout out through the lily greens. The ferns are a light slightly yellow green, while the lily below is dark green and dense.

It is a striking color contrast that looks lovely all summer long.

o

I think applying round-up very carefully to the LOV will much improve its looks. Plant ferns and hostas in their place, LOL!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here