Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulsiu

Planting some native woodland plants

paulsiu
12 years ago

Hi,

I live at the edge of a man made wetland (basically a retention pond). Recently, I gotten a hold of a few plants that may work. All plants come in plugs:

Great Merry Bell (Bellwort)

Celandine Poppy

Queen of the Prairie

Cardinal Flower

great blue lobelia

There's been quite a bit of rain recently, so everything is kind of wet. Here are my thoughts:

Celandine Poppy and Great Merry Bell gets planted under some of the trees. I figure I'll dig up the ground underneath the leaf and plant it there. By the way, the soil smells like it's rotten, so I wonder if that's OK.

The rest, I was thinking of planting in the water or edge of the water. Is this a good idea? I recall Cardinal plants like to be "wet".

Paul

Comments (13)

• paulsiu
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK, did more research. the plant should not be in standing water, though they can survive being submerge for a time.

Paul

• fatamorgana2121
    12 years ago

Soil shouldn't smell rotten. Could it be the rotting leaves?

I've seen bellworts and celadine poppies in woodland settings but not in wet locations. I have them in my own woodland garden which has an average woodland moisture level. I wouldn't expect them to be a good pond-edge plant.

I have seen the great blue lobelia close to pond and other water areas but never any place were it would be wet/in standing water.

I would probably look for jewelweed, cattail (they'll plant themselves), eupatoriums, flags (iris), pickerelweed, arrowhead, water lilies. and so on for varying degrees of wet soil or standing water. Research them more for your conditions.

FataMorgana

• paulsiu
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, I think it's the leaves that are rotting. Here's some pictures of the area:

The following is at the edge of the water. Normally the water is not that close, but we had a lot of rain recently. This is where I am thinking of planting the cardinal flower, great blue lobelia, Queen of the Prairie, and sneeze weed :

Note that the lady recommended those flowers because she has them growing near a pond and said those plants like to have a wet feet.

Here's where I am thinking of growing the Bellworts and Celandine Poppy.

Alternately, I can plant them underneath this tree, but it seemed a bit dry there:

Paul

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

That seems like a good plan.

I just visited a site in NC and bellworts were growing in a very wet area near a waterfall. I was very surprised to see them there but they obviously have adapted.

But I would not put transplanted bellworts in an overly wet area; they will seed into the wet area if they are capable.

• jcalhoun
    12 years ago

You could try pitcher plants, sundews and the like if they will tolerate your zone. You could also look into what wetlands plants will work in Illinois.

If at all possible, use plants from a nursery. Many times wetland plants can be a protected species like with the pitcher plants.

• paulsiu
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I planted one poppy and one bellwort in front underneath a tree next to some shrubs. Both seemed a bit delicate, so I figure some wind protection would be helpful. The soil was fairly moist, black, crumbly, and have a few earthworms.

I planted one poppy in the back, but the soil was really hard to work with. It was black, too but the stuff was really mushy, dense, with a top layer of decaying leaves and tons of earthworms. I am getting a more heavy duty spade.

Paul

• Lynda Waldrep
    12 years ago

I have cardinal flowers that are IN the pond, under about six inches of water. They look great. Mother Nature put them there. I also have plants that seeded out in many other places, some not so wet. They are short-lived perennials but seed out, so don't be disappointed if your plants don't follow your plan.

• paulsiu
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Planted some plants in the back and the front. Here's the two plants in the front.

celandine poppy

Bellwort

Let's hope they live. I got a soil test recently and notice that the soil is actually pretty good, but the PH is fairly high at 7.5 and I am low on phosphorus.

Paul

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

Nice looking plants.

• Lynda Waldrep
    12 years ago

Some of the plants you listed may like acid soil, so you need to double check requirements if your soil is 7.5. A successful native plant garden (50+ years!) near me has soil of 6. Mine is lower, so I have to put some pieces of concrete or limestone rocks near a few plants.

• jcalhoun
    12 years ago

Earthworms are good fish bait. Is the detention pond large enough to have any good fish in it?

• paulsiu
    Original Author
    12 years ago

According to Dave's Garden, most of them will take PH up to 7.5, so it's hard to tell if it will work or not since I am at the edge. I did try to lower the PH a bit using some peat moss, but it's hard to tell if it will work. Sulfur may work better, but I am more concern that I will apply it incorrectly.

As for the retention pond, it's big enough for fish, but it does dry up in the summer.

The woodland poppy has open its flower, I immediately spray it with some repellant. I notice that my tulips have all managed to spend one day in bloom before being destroyed, and I can't tell who's doing it. I am thinking it's either the rabbit or the squirrel.

Paul

• paulsiu
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Woodland poppy have finally opened!

Hope the flowers in the backyard self-seed like crazy!

Paul

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH