Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lady Slipper?

Posted by dighappy z7 NJ (My Page) on
Tue, May 3, 05 at 23:42

Every year I get a bunch of these lovely flowers blooming in a wooded area on my property. I thought they might be lady slippers and although they have not fully bloomed, I am hoping someone can give me a definite ID. If a pic of the plant when it has fully bloomed is needed I can post a few more pics when they have matured. Can anyone confirm that these are Lady Slippers or are they something else. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lady Slipper?

Yep! Without a doubt, it is a ladyslipper (Cypripedium acaule).

o

It will be clearer when it's in full bloom, but it sure looks like a pink lady's slipper. You're very lucky. Whatever you're doing or not doing, don't change a thing.

o

As Ron said, without a doubt C. acuale. The best way to cultivate these is to simply leave them alone! Not uncommon plants but a lovely thing to have growing naturally on your land. PF

o

• Posted by KWoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Wed, May 4, 05 at 10:38

Another vote for stemless lady slipper. You can tell it 'cause it's the only one with two basal leaves. Nice pictures, I like all the pine needles showing that it's right where it belongs. Yours are about a week ahead of the ones here.

o

I never mess with these guys and enjoy them just where they are. I have about 16 of them growing in one little section of the woods and many others spread out a little more. It's funny as a good portion of our property is wooded (only have 3.5 acres) but this little piece of woods is the only place I have seen them growing. I will post more pics when they have fully bloomed. Thanks for your responses.

o
RE: Lady Slipper? Updated pics

Here are several "Ladies" in full bloom. They are so lovely and boy do they spread. DH found that we also have them in the back of the property.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here