Image hosted by Photobucket.com
green w/ pink picotee
white w/ green flares

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: a couple mutants and other various trillium forms

The pink ones are what happens after the flower is pollinated. There is a pink form, 'rosem' but your look like the older, pollinated ones. The red one is T. erectum, it's wierd though cause its only got 4 stamens not 3 0r 6. The two green ones are T. grandiflorum infected with Mycoplasma, a ultra-microscopic membrane that surrounds the conducting tissues. The pics look great.
t

o

Yes, a beautiful set of photos. They remind me of my walks through the trillium fields of the southern Appalachians. In particular I remember one little valley that was literally covered in T. grandiflorum as far as you could see! Thanks for the photos. PF

o

• Posted by Paul_ z4/5 MI (My Page) on
    Sun, May 29, 05 at 20:08

Interesting Trilliophile, I had assumed it was a genetic mutation. Is that infected condition permanent? In other words, will those plants remain infected and continue to produce such flowers each year?

Is such an infection dangerous to the plant?

What is the diseases vector? Any idea?

o

They will stay infected for the rest of their lives. Most likely they will decline slowly and then die. The literature doen't give recomendations other than they should not be moved to other areas of the country. THey believe that leafhoppers spread it around, but no one really knows. There is not much that can be done about the disease other than to enjoy the wierd blooms.
aloha
t

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here