Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agurkas

Should I mulch the wooded back lot or do something else?

Apollo S
9 years ago

Just bought a place in a town close to Boston. Love the 1 acre we got, but 1/3 of it is wooded and looks like previous owners did zero to maintain it. Walking into that area gets you covered by ticks and I assume it is prime area for mosquito breeding too.
I have a toddler and I am sure she may run in there while she catches me off-guard, because little lady is fast.

So I need to clean it up. Saplings I can take out. I did find some poison ivy vines going up two trees, so that will be battle on it's own.

Torn between covering large area with either needle or pine bark mulch. Or maybe there is some ground covering I could seed/plant that would make the area more walkable and less of a mess. Open to all suggestions but keeping it the way it is.

Comments (12)

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Heh...I'd keep it the way it is, at least until such a time as I've managed to learn what I've got there. For example, you mention removing saplings. I ask, why? Do you not want regeneration of this patch of forest to procede? And what species are these saplings? Box elder? Buckthorn? Then yes, remove with extreme prejudice. But if high-value (For whatever criteria) species, why take out the next generation?

Then too, the ground layer vegetation is apt to surprise you-if you let it. Where I live, spring ephemerals can be simply amazing. The same is true in your neck of the woods. Why not at least see what you have there before setting out to change it into yet another "mulch desert"? I like mulch-have for decades-but in and of itself, it is no landscape. For that you need plants.

Poison ivy? What would result if your child was able to learn-actually learn-what this plant looks like? What if your child actually got exposed to poison ivy once or twice. Would the world end ? Your world?

Sorry, I'm always puzzled by folks that purchase wooded property while seeming to have no interest in or liking for same.

+oM

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

Maybe you could clear some paths and pine straw them to make it safer to walk in there. A fence separating the two areas of the property would help contain your child and could look charming as well. I'm with wisconsitom--take the opportunity to observe and learn about what you have there.

• Apollo S
    Original Author
    9 years ago

junco, that might be one way to approach it. Might do like a perimeter walk and then slowly clean my way inside. There is a clearing area where bunch of old trees had to be removed for whatever reason. Strongly considering putting a greenhouse there and a vegetable garden.

wisconsitom, next time, just move on to another thread. I asked for advice, not judgment.

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

I wasn't aware that you moderated this forum, agurkas. In any case, what I suggest is meant in good faith, and if you stop to think about it instead of reaching for the immediate emotional response, you will find merit in what I suggest.

Or, just thrash around thoughtlessly. Why try to learn anything?

+oM

• Apollo S
    Original Author
    9 years ago

+of,
    Let me put it for you this way: you may have good information, but your delivery is like putting a cup of manure in a barrel of honey. There are better ways to deliver a message. Yours is not it.

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

What would be the purpose of the mulch? It won't keep things from growing or prevent the ticks. Why do you think it is a prime area for mosquito breeding? Do you have standing water?

I am wondering what you end goal is here. The forest is going to keep trying to grow back. How much do you want non-forest, and what do you want to have there instead? It is not going to be an easy process. I too live in the middle of the woods and it can be very difficult to keep the forest from reseeding right up to the house.

• Apollo S
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got what I needed from other threads. Thanks.

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

You can do both. Plant native ferns and Mayapple then cover with mulch...the ferns will have no trouble growing through pine mulch.

It is generally a good idea to wait a year after acquiring property before doing major clearing, so you can see what has pretty flowers.

Unfortunately, the nature of the internet is that you will get opinions you don't agree with.

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

And to be clear, agurkas-who has likely moved on from this thread-has every right to do as he/she wishes with his/her private property. And too, my wrath at the wanton destruction of wooded land going on all across this county gets me very upset, not just here on this forum. So sure, maybe I let some of my own emotions through in my initial response. But the thing is, I'm not mad at, nor do I dislike agurkas. We don't know each other. But I do, and always will, dislike when folks take actions without what is in my opinion sufficient forsight and without what I consider sufficient respect for the resource. Other than that, it's a free country!

I agree that mulching can coexist with plants like ferns, mayapple, etc, and also that whether mulched or not, nature is going to come roaring back here in one guise or another, be it really fine native woodland species, or invasive junk. Something's going to want to grow there. A mulch/non-selective herbicide regimen could keep areas cleared, if that interested you. But yes, most perennial woodland species quite easily break through mulch layers, unless these layers are extraordinarily thick, which I would not recommend.

+oM

• Esther Lorenzo
    3 years ago

Hi, I know this thread is 6 years old but I wondered if the OP tried mulch etc. And wanted to ask how it worked for them? We have a property with small strip of woodland at the base of Mt Beacon about an hour north of New York City. We've lived here three years. When a tree in the shallow soil on the hill fell over in a storm and smashed our shed, the guys removing the tree did us a "favor" and removed a bunch of the scrubby undergrowth back there. By doing this they appear to have spread poison ivy throughout the area. I'm attacking it here and there by snipping, raking, and a little herbicide, however the whole area is so overgrown it's just hard to tackle it. We have a preschooler and it's actually the only shaded area on our property, so I really would love to make better use of it. The local "natural" landscaping company I hope would help us, keeps not showing up. They came once for an initial consultation, then never followed up, then didn't answer my calls. I actually saw them again recently working on someone else's property. They came over after my neighbor's job, suggested using heavy mulch to get the area under control, then never followed up again! I'm starting to think about going to the city dump and getting load after load of wood chips on my own, and seeing what happens if I weed whack and just try to create a path with the chips. Anyhow my search for ideas brought me to this forum. Open to feedback! On a budget but very much interested in planting native species over time.

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    3 years ago

I maintain a large property with wooded areas. I do not bring in any mulch or do major operation. It is quite labor intensive and costly. For your new property, first remove and kill most invasive, like multiflora, honeysuckle if you do not want to keep and other vining plants. Poison Ivy of course. Then Spent a year to ID al the trees and shrubs to see what to keep and what to remove. Herbaceous plants are the last to worry about. You build the layer, fill in the gaps with your favorite plants.

The trees should drop leaves to be used as mulch. No need to buy or bring in other mulch.

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider