Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foam Flower Seeds

Posted by jessaka 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 13, 10 at 6:37

I have a woodland area and wanted to fill it with foam flowers, so I bought some seeds, and it really seems like a lot of work, plus, I don't seem to do well with seeds. I was told to plant them in a flat, keep them at 70 degrees for two weeks, then refrigerator for 4 weeks, and then set the tray outside. Then I learn that they are a spring plant. Has anyone done this? Or even tried another method? And why couldn't I just bury them in the ground or throw the seeds out where I want them? Then I found the plants at Lowe's and just bought one since they are so expensive.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I just want a nice pretty ground cover for a large area in my woods, not hosta as the deer eat it. I have ferns and ajuga and wanted to try these.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foam Flower Seeds

These seeds are better sown fresh and are not meant to be stored. They need double dormancy, i.e., warm, cold, warm, cold, etc. My sources say they are "averse to germinating in artificial media."

I received some seeds from NARGS but had only one seedling germinate, so it appears the book information is correct. They self sow, although that is probably too slow for what you want.

Heuchera seeds can be stored dry and germinate in the summer. These plants give a similar effect and can tolerate dry. Sanguinaria usually prefers moist soil. Hope this helps.

o

thanks. i think i will just toss them where i want them to grow and see what happens next year. probably nothing.

I bought two coral bells one year and they died very soon after planting them, but i will give the seeds a try. thanks so much.

i have a few seeds of the foam flowers in my refrigerator, so i will continue to see what they do. probably nothing. live and learn.i seem to be having luck with ferns, and i really love them. i have luck with columbine and blood root as well. if my foam flower plant makes it i will get more next year. and who knows, maybe lowe's will put them in their $1 batch.

o

The tiarella that you purchased will release seeds also.
If you can find Tiarella Running Tapestry or the new variety
called Apalachian Trail, they both send out runners which will
cover a ground area in a couple of seasons.
Pam

o

thanks. i love that idea. i also ordered coral bell seeds. Wish the one I bought was a runner--mystic mist.

o

i found a nursery here that has the creeping foam flower. thanks so much for the suggestion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here