Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with Semi-invasive Shrubs

Posted by achang89 Central NJ Z6b (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 7:19

This is a mature woodland with many tall trees. But it is thin in middle layer, the small trees and shrubs. I've cut down some of the invasive species, such as honeysuckle shrubs and some others. But I'm not sure if I need to cut down some of the semi-invasive ones, such as barberry, etc. There are some, but not too many. We do have tons of birs feeding on the trees, shrubs and wild raspberries.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with Semi-invasive Shrubs

One thing to consider about exotic plants that are not invasive is that they support very little insect life. Caterpillars don't hatch on them because native butterflies by and large lay eggs on native plants. Leaving these in place is similar to having "plastic" plants when it comes to insects.

And when insects can't feed on them, the insect population declines in that area and so does the bird population (birds need insects to raise their young).

So that is one consideration.

o
RE: What to do with Semi-invasive Shrubs

Deer ticks like japanese barberry so if that's what you have, assuming you have deer, it might be a good one to get rid of.
We removed ours for this reason.

http://today.uconn.edu/blog/2012/02/controlling-japanese-barberry-helps-stop-spread-of-tick-borne-diseases/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here