Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
color for wooded area in NE Pennsylvania

Posted by nmboller 18013 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 21, 11 at 7:25

Hello,
I have a wooded area in the rear of my property filled with a variety of trees as well as some creeping viney plants. The soil is pretty moist and was hoping for some advice of what to plant back there that will add a bit of color to the landscape. I live in N.E. Pennsylvania. I am having trouble finding plants for shade.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: color for wooded area in NE Pennsylvania

Full shade? Or does it get some sun? Partial shade makes for a wider choice.

FataMorgana

o

It is mostly in full shade, but the edge of the woods gets a little bit. I was thinking of ferns, but was hoping to add a touch of color.

o

A few suggestions for next year are wood poppies, bleeding hearts and trout lilies. But that doesn't help you beyond mid-June. If there is color in deep to mid-heavy shade that works in late summer to fall, I would love to know more.

Hoping some others have good recommendations!

o

I know white is not a color, but I love black cohosh, which sends up a fairly tall white spike, usually by the end of June. This has a bonus of some height that is often missing in the woodland garden. Aster divericatus (has new name now) blooms white in the shade later in the summer as does Chamaelirium luteum, Davil's or fairy wand.

If you have really great soil, try the Disporums. The harebells will bloom in light shade as well as shooting stars, Dodecatheons. And don't forget Heucheras, although I find they do better for me in pots since they are picky about drainage.

The red berries of some plants add color later, such as Golden Seal, False Sol. seal, and Jacks, to name a few.

Of course, I enjoy the different greens of a variety of ferns, and if we just had consistent rain here one summer, I bet I wouldn't miss any color at all!

o

You have so many choices. Starting in early spring theere is bloodroot, twinleaf, trout lily, Virginia bluebells, Solomon seal, false solomon seal, merrybells, fairy bells goldseal, crested iris, wood lily, turk's cap lily, blue cohosh, red and white baneerry, jack-in-the-pulpit. A lot of these have colorful berries. And ferns. they may not supply color, but the variety is amazing.

I am originally from NE Pa.

o

I know these aren't exactly "native" plants, but I love astilbes in my wooded garden for bright pops of colour.....they mesh really well with white and greens......

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here