Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is your favorite type of woodland/forest?

Posted by jimbobfeeny 5a IN (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 12 at 7:34

Just a question I thought I'd throw out there. My favorite forest types are:

-Northern Hardwoods, with yellow birch, sugar maple, and beech dominant, but with other trees present, such as red oak, ash, etc. This forest type is extremely pretty in the fall, with the maples and birches and oaks.

-Spruce-fir forests, with dense, year-round cover and mossy floors. I love how cool and quiet these forests are; I especially like the red spruce - fraser fir forests of the Southern Appalachians.

-Mesophytic hardwood forests (beech-maple around here) - These are the woods I grew up with, and I love the variety of shrubs, wildflowers, and trees. I spent most of my childhood roaming the woods while others my age watched TV! (I'm still fairly young - I suppose that might be an advantage for woodland gardening!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is your favorite type of woodland/forest?

An uncivilized "wild" redwood forest with ferns that are almost as tall as you and you have to watch your step as ravines can be covered over by fallen trees and years of debris. The link below is to an image of one that appears to be such though it does look somewhat tailored and may be a second growth forest.

Here is a link that might be useful: wild Redwood forest

o
RE: What is your favorite type of woodland/forest?

I must say that the forests of the Pacific Northwest are on my life list of things to see.

But having grown up and spent all of my life in the Northeastern US, I must say that I favor the mixed hardwood forests of the northeast that are filled with oak, beech, ash, hickory, and maple trees. They have an understory of spicebush, witch hazel, dogwood, serviceberry, and more. With an assortment of woodland wildflowers and plants including bellworts, solomon's seal, jack-in-the-pulpit, mayapple, trillium, bloodroot, wild geranium, baneberries, spring beauty, squirrel corn, ramps, blue cohosh, meadow rue, trout lilies, various ferns, and more. It is my image of paradise.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here