Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celticmeadow

Celtic woodland plants

celticmeadow
15 years ago

Hello first time on the site.I am looking for any info with regards to what plants would be native to an ancient British woodland glade,verge or meadow?.My garden project is mini woodland with native tree species yew,Willow,and a not so native japaneses maple.I already have the spring bulbs daffs etc right now i have betony,feverfew some ox eye daisy out of the shade.Primarily im looking for plants that would suit shade/partial shade/verge(hedgrow)on a dryish loamy soil.Most importantly im trying to create a peudo ancient meadow/glade.all answers would be much appreciated because my garden will be the most unusual but beautiful on the street (im half way there)

thanks

john

Comments (6)

• teresa_b
    15 years ago

I like your idea. How about ferns and hellebores?

Teresa

• pondwelr
    15 years ago

The U.S has many Prairie plants that would thrive and grow on your meadow. But they certainly arent native to your country.
    Perhaps you should research with local branches of horticulture and gardeners.
    I am very interested in what you are trying to establish.
    Please keep in touch. Pondy

• herbalbetty
    15 years ago

Celticmeadow, get the book, "Flora Celtica" (a British book). I just received this book and it is fabulous and will help you determine just which plants you need. Also, another fabulous book about ancient plants and hedgerows is "Witchcraft Medicine" by Muller. It is a scholarly text and well researched and written. Also, if you go to the Cloisters website, you will find information about the plants that have been identified in the Unicorn tapestries. Very good medieval information.

• kailleanm
    15 years ago

Gallium odoratum (sweet woodruff) might be a nice groundcover. Not sure where you are located, but it stays green all year here.

• celticmeadow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for the replies! its late i know i lost my email message and have recovered it.I could not find this site for love nor money but im here.Since we last spoke on the other side of my drive i dug HARD and tilled and seived till the soil was crumbly and easy to hoe and rake.Out came a million roots from the neighbours and after this last couple of months up popped some dormant plants:GIANT RED POPPY,SMALL TREE MALLOW(this particular mallow has the flower colour of a marsh mallow but the stem and and rest of a small tree, MASSIF SCOTTISH THISTLE and tons of CLEAVERS (stuck all over me)So the garden is preening itself,i like to let it go "wild" then go and investigate.Celtic wise a farmer close to me is growing awild flower field predom'cornflower some poppy and corncockle to sell seeds .Ive not had much luck in garden the weather at best has been ABYSMAL IN UK just absolutely horrid.thanks for replies and advice and the great book info!!!

• evonnestoryteller
    15 years ago

Sounds great!

Nice suggestion for woodruff. I grow that and it is really pretty! I am told it gives the May Wine its more gentle flavor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodruff and May Wine

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner