Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracyl_gw

Need avice just moved to the woods.

tracyl
18 years ago

Hi,

I just moved to the country. We have a 9 acre woodland area. I love it. I have become very interested in identifying the plants, mushrooms, lizards, spiders etc. that are out there. Can you recommend any good reference site or books.

I think some of the woodland plants are beautiful, especially the wild hydrangea, paw paws and pulpits.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

TracyL

Comments (9)

• Iris GW
    18 years ago

Check out the native plant forum and also see if there is chapter of a native plant society near you. They would have good reference materials for your area.

Congratulations!

Here is a link that might be useful: Illinois native plant society

• northeastwisc
    18 years ago

If there is a nearby chapter of the Wild Ones (native landscaping), you may be able to get some onsite help for identifying plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild Ones Chapters

• Elaine_NJ6
    18 years ago

You should acquire a good library of field guides--guides to wild flowers, woody plants, fungi, amphibians, butterlfies--whatever you need. I personally like the Peterson's series, but that's a matter of taste. Then get a reference work on forests. The "Guide to Eastern Forests" in the Peterson's series is the one I use, but you might need one more geared to the midwest. The individual field guides will tell you about all the parts, the forest book will tell you how the parts fit together, what kind of forest you have, and what's missing that you could plant.

Enjoy--sounds terrific.

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

If you are in Northern Illinois, check out Dick Young's Wild Plants and Natural Areas of Kane County. Don't let the county-specific title put you off, as it did me for years. This book has only the plants found in this general region and not the stuff found only on the east coast. It also has a lot of the more minor species that grow here but aren't in broader field guides. Do a google on the title and you will find on-line sources to buy it from.

V.

• tracyl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I just wanted to thank the 4 people that responded. I appreciate your time and advice.

TracyL

• geoffc
    18 years ago

Tracy,

If you can stand one more addition ... here's a website that I've had some fun with:

http://www.realtimerendering.com/flowers/flowers.html

There's also a link there to tree ID and bird ID.

I also bought a few field guides, and I check books out of the library from time to time. You can really educate yourself pretty quickly once you get started. Those walks in the woods will become very productive with a little effort and a bit of curiosity.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wildflower Identification

• outsideplaying_gw
    18 years ago

And one more....the first thing you need to learn to identify is Poison Ivy! Really, do keep something on-hand in case you have an outbreak. And don't forget to wash up often while working outside, treat your clothing the same way, and be careful of your pets who may have rolled in it. Just a partial list of cautions; there was recently a long thread on this forum about poison ivy.

• ddot
    18 years ago

Ah congratulations on moving to a wooded area! I'm jealous! But now let my bitterness show - Please, don't ever post a problem such as "The deer are eating my roses"...or "The wildland fire fighters won't save my burning house."
    I'm sorry, it's not fair to unload this on you. But we get alot of developers here that absolutely love the view- then destroy it to put in a house, or the granola eaters who wish to preserve the wilderness but then build a log cabin. I've actually heard the two complaints listed above... and I wanted to strangle the woman. Plus she was outside of city limits so she didn't have to pay for services yet demanded and got them anyway. UUGHHH... sounds like you embrace and charish the woods though.I regret this post already, but I feel I have to do this. Forgive me. ddot

• Flowerkitty
    18 years ago

I think this forum is the best starting point. I have learned so much reading other people's posts, and looking at their pictures. Members even identified a plant for me based on a sketch. I keep a list of sites I have found most useful even if they are not for my zone. Below is a great site for identifying natives by flower color. I also go to native plant seller sites, because they post pictures of plants, and give detailed growing information. Like Easy Living Native Perennial Wildflowers for instance
    http://www.easywildflowers.com/
    I find it great fun, there is no end to new plant discoveries

Here is a link that might be useful: Andy's Northern Ontario Wildflowers

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths