Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vicki_mildenstein

Where to buy spigelia

vicki_mildenstein
19 years ago

Hello,

I have just returned from a garden trip to St. Louis and saw this lovely shady plant called spigelia, also called Indian Pink, I think.

Where can I buy this plant? It is not available locally.

I did find one place to purchase but I only want two or three plants and they want $7.00 for shipping. I also don't care to buy from somewhere that has not been reccomended to me as many times I get really awful plants for top dollar.

Thanks for any help!

Vicki M

Comments (11)

• Georgiarose
    19 years ago

Shipping charge of 7$ sounds very reasonable to me. Most catalog and on-line cos. charge 2-3X that much, minimum.
    Check with some of your gardening friends and see if you can use a tray of 72, at about a buck each. There is a co in Fla that propagates them. LMK and will email you the website.

• sarahbn
    19 years ago

It's a wonderful plant blooming right now I bought it locally though I would look around at nurseries in your area and ask if they could get it in for you. Sarah

• drema_dianne
    19 years ago

I have been looking for this plant too, so if you find a good source, please post it. Thanks.

• jeff_al
    19 years ago

i have ordered from here before and recieved healthy plants, good packing at reasonable prices.
    her shipping cost would be about $7.00 for two of these plants @$7.00 ea.
    she did include and extra plant of spigelia in my order, but it was a large order. ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: mailorder natives

• pew63
    19 years ago

Vicki,

I work at a nursery in Pennington NJ, Stonybrook Gardens, and they sell the Spigelia in 5"(?) pots for $7.00. It looks like they sell thru a specific vendor. I'll find out who the vendor is and perhaps you can locate a nursery that sells in your area and uses this specific vendor.
    I have a Spigelia in the front of my house (developing cottage garden) and look forward to when the plant blooms. Always a treat! I believe I purchased my plant from Wayside Gardens a few years ago.

pew63

• plantsnobin
    19 years ago

Try Munchkin Nursery. I am not sure if they have it, but they have many shade plants.

• vivilet
    19 years ago

I would like to know where you can buy indian pink(spigelia). I would rather by it in flats if possible. Regards,vivilet

• jeanbhall
    19 years ago

Most inexpensive place I have found to buy Spigelia Marylandica is Rock Island Wildflowers. They have them for $5 bareroot. They are listed under Limited Quantity Plants.

Even better, they have an internet special where you can get 10 for $36, plus $7 postage, so it pays to order online.

Ordered some of these myself. Didn't come up last year, but am hoping they will this year. Talked to the owner, and he was very nice.

General website is www.rockislandwildflowers.com. Specific address for spigelia marylandica is listed below -- but remember to take advantage of the internet special if you (and your friends) need 10 or more.

Here's additional contact info:

Rock Island Wildflowers
    P.O. Box 57
    Rock Island, TN. 38581-0057
    Phone 931.686.2360
    Fax 931.686.3191

They have lots of other wonderful wildflowers and shade plants. All are bareroot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rock Island Wildflowers Spigelia Marylandica

• vicki_mildenstein
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hello all,

I wanted to report that I found this plant and mail ordered it from some place out east. I was extremely disappointed with the plants that were sent to me. Very small and expensive. The grower was very cooperative and refunded most of the money.

What I descovered is this: These plants take quite some time to grow. Seed grown can take as much as 3-5 years to achieve a height of 6 inches, not blooming size yet. They are also difficult to establish, but once you do, they are lovely. This is what I have been told, as only two of my three survived planting last year. It is just starting our warmer weather here, in Iowa, and we are having freezing and some snow still so will not know for a bit yet whether they survived the winter.

The plants I saw in St. Louis were nearly a foot high and bushy and blooming like crazy.

So, I would say, contact your local nursery and ask if they can acquire this plant. It is better to buy what you can see and not mail order.

Typically, in my experience, mail order plants are expensive and small.

TTFN
    Vicki

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    19 years ago

Spigelia marilandica is one of the latest plants in my garden to sprout in the spring-right up there with Begonia grandis and Caryopteris divaricata. The first time I planted some, I gave up too soon and probably dug them up inadvertently figuring they hadn't made it through the winter. Last spring I watched and watched the spot and finally a few little stems popped up. The little stems turned into pretty robust little plants by late June.

{{gwi:202381}}

I bought mine at local nurseries. So far they haven't gotten any taller than a foot but I was at a garden this past season where they were much taller-maybe close to two feet. What a great shade garden plant!

Sue

• monarda_gw
    19 years ago

I saw these naturalized at the Bronx Botanic Garden's Native plant section, growing in the meadow (along the sides of the path) with mid-blue tradescantia, gillena, pink dogwood, red columbine, and other wild flowers, and just had to have it.

It grew for five years in a big planter in front of my door, but one year, it succumbed to an exceptionally cold winter.
    I guess it is not all that hardy in extremely frigid conditions. Probably it would have survived in the ground.
    Anyway, it is a very worthy plant and anyone would be happy growing it for as long as it deigned to favor one with its presence.

Sponsored